I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt Caps
Posted by: Harold Tanner (---.xtalwind.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 06:43AM

Noticed an inquiry about making your own butt caps. On just about all my casting and spinning rods I have been making my own for some time now. Those black plastic or rubber ones are sure ugly.

I flatten out the end of the cork butt with a sander. Then make a form about one inch deep using masking tape wrapped around the cork butt. Plug up the blank about one ince down inside with a small wad of paper to prevent the epoxy from getting too far inside. Mix some five minute epoxy with a small amount of cork dust, pour into the form and let harden. Sand to desired size and shape and out comes a great butt cap. Sometimes I add a little color using a pigment made for gel coat coloring. Red makes a nice tinted finish.

These butt caps are tough as iron and really come out neat. Fast too, once you do a few.

If anyone wants more detail on the entire process email me direct. Or if there is enough interest I can post the entire procedure here.

Capt. Harold

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt Caps
Posted by: dan ervin (207.4.245.---)
Date: January 29, 2002 09:29AM

Harold,
I tried this (admittedly halfheartedly) and the problem I had was the seam around the bottom of the cork was not pefectly equal and some epoxy seeped a little and some did not. Wound up with an unequal seal. Will the cork dust thicken it up enough to prevent that? How much dust? Also, what do you dye the eopxy with?

Re: Butt Caps
Posted by: Harold Tanner (---.xtalwind.net)
Date: January 30, 2002 06:16AM

The butt of the cork handle must be nice and flat to make a tight seam where the expoxy joins. I use a sander for this purpose. The form is important too. I make about two courses of 1/2 tape below the edge so the epoxy will be slightly larger than the diameter of the cork handle. Then make the form of 2 inch tape leaving about 1 inch deep for the butt cap. I then use a vibrator sander to shape the entire butt cap to the desired configuration after it cures.

To eliminate any bubbles and to make sure the epoxy gets all around the cork handle I use a small probe to poke all around in the mix before it sets. Using five minute epoxy you have to work fast. I suppose you could use LS supreme or some other slow setting epoxy and do a neater job. I just like to use the fast setting stuff so I don't have to wait long for the finished product. It also makes for a very tough butt cap.

It don't take much cork dust. Too much and you end up with something like mud that don't cure well or pour too good either. You really want the mix to flow good. Not thick and heavy.

To dye the mix I use a tube of pigment made for dying gel coat on boats. I have several colors and generally end up using red or blue. This stuff can be acquired at West Marine or any place that sells boat repair kits. It only takes a very small dab to get a color tint.

Capt. Harold

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster