I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to secure trim wraps?
Posted by: Alan Gasior (---.totalonline.cz)
Date: January 29, 2002 05:53AM

On the rod I'm currently working on I made short trim wraps. I've let the loose ends of the thread in place since I don't want to cut them off now and destroy my work. I would like to secure them first.
What is the best way of securing trim wraps? A CP? What to do if I don't want to use CP on trim wraps? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to secure trim wraps?
Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 09:10AM

what i do on my trim wraps which have 4-6 turns is i trim the tag ends as close as possable and if u use cp u dont meed to worrie much "just dont fiddle with them" but also a very lite coat of epoxy and then with a fresh razor blade i trim the pointie stickups left from triming my tag ends then you have them locked as per say and you finish epoxing the wraps and bingo u are set . hope this helps and tight wraps ....John T Burford aka: Tightline Rod's

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 09:56AM

With the proper tension and a little luck, you can trim those tag ends and not destroy your wraps. Keep in mind however, that all of us "lose" a trim wrap now and then.

There are some other methods for making really narrow trim bands that hold tight and get you a 2 or 3 thread width. When I have more time I will revisit the subject, unless someone else would like to add the method in the meantime.

Posted by: Justin Hansen (---.NYU.EDU)
Date: January 29, 2002 01:25PM

If you mean a trim wrap at the edge of an underwrap or guide wrap I usually start off with the trim color and wrap that as think as I need it. When I am finished I don't pull it under, I cut it and tape the end to the rod. I then begin the rest of the wrap by starting the wrap on top of the tag end from the trim wrap. This holds it in place and I continue the wrap. When finished with the main wrap I then do the same thing this time wrapping the trim over then end of the wrap. The tag end from the last trim wrap is then pulled under the wrap to finish it off. Hope that this wasn't too confusing and helps.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: January 30, 2002 11:12AM

I still have trouble with it, but I end up cutting the trim wrap threads just a little long and then trim them again after the first coat of finish.

Posted by: David A Tomasch (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 30, 2002 07:22PM

Alan, On the subject of trim wraps that are small in nature a single double or even a triple. I first tape a 4" piece of trim wrap along the length of the guide foot (the same direction that the monofilament would go if your were rigging up your rod). On the other side of the guide foot I tape a piece of monofilament in the form of a loop. I then start my guide foot wrap over both of these pieces. Go about 5 turns and then wrap your trim wrap over the mono loop and around the blank however many wraps you would like. Stick the tag end through the mono loop holding the tag end snug so it lays on the blank nice and tight and then pull the mono loop and the tag end through. Trim both your trim wrap tag ends and it is a perfect tag every time. Hope this helps you as it has me for nice neat and small wraps that really set a rod off. With this method the trim wraps are very secure and the actual guide wrap is what holds them in place so CP is not required to hold them in place but can be used to keep original color of the thread instead as I suppose is what it is intended for. David A Tomasch

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 11:06PM

I use the same method that David describes. When you are ready to pull the tag end with your loop, press down on the wrap tightly to prevent the tag end from sliding around the blank - this is especially important if you are using only a one or two thread trim band. Also, when not using color preservative on the wrap you should use NCP thread on the main wrap or your pulled-through tag end will show up under the wrap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster