I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

superglue & thanks
Posted by: kathi glover (---.lewistown.mcn.net)
Date: January 28, 2002 11:00PM

I didn't realize until a week or so ago, but I must have stumbled on to you right after your board became active. All of you have been a wealth of information and I am very greatful. The more I learn the more I don't know. Just wish I was close enough to see and learn in person. That said...all the books, etc. I have read have said to wrap guides on only with thread. I read an article today that said to use a very small drop of super glue on the guides to hold them in place while wrapping. Now that would make wrapping easier, but I have some serious reservations about this. Most importantly not being able to make minor adjustments to alignment. Has anyone tried this and what were your results? Thanks in advance for the help and thanks again for all the help you never knew you were giving me. Kat

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: superglue & thanks
Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 08:42AM

well ill tell u i tried it and will never do it again ..... if im useing double foot ill tape 1 foot while im wraping the other if im useing single ill heat the foot a little and a small " i mean just enough to hold it " of hot melt glue . this works and i only place the guide on when im ready to wrap it not all guides at one time hope this helps ....John T Burford aka: Tightline Rod's

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 10:01AM

It's not a good idea. Listen to what John says.

Posted by: Elrod(Jon Jenkins (65.212.56.---)
Date: January 29, 2002 02:50PM

Find surgical tubing, cut into thin "little rubberbands" and secure guides with them. Even on single foots I put the band near the heel of the foot, then once I have wrapped halfway up the foot, I cut the band off with knife. Works great and much easier when test casting to move the guides rather than messing with tape. I know some are avid tape users, but I prefer the bands. Cheap and effective.

Posted by: Mike Moran (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 09:22AM

No superglue! I use a clothes pin on a 2 foot guide to hold one side while I wrap the other. Use the soft wood ones that have the two rounded cutouts in the jaws. The round cutout and the soft wood make for a good grip without damaging the blank. When a blank gets too small for a clothes pin to grab I use a plastic covered bread tie to secure the guide. Just twist it until the guide is snug on the blank. On one foot guides this also works to hold it until you get the thread up on the guide foot. I only use the bread tie once or twice so as not to have exposed wire touching my blank. You can even take a Dremel tool and cut the "jaws" of the clothes pin in half length-wise so you can hold narrow single foot guides until you can get the thread up on the foot securely.

Mike Moran
Alleghany Anglers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster