I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help choosing a color!
Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: January 28, 2002 06:57PM

Hey guys, I've got a flat charcoal colored blank which will have chrome nlg guides on it. Any advice on thread color? I have very little ncp colors. Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help choosing a color!
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2002 07:27PM

Try black with a silver metallic trim.

Posted by: William Vivona (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: January 28, 2002 09:23PM

I use an underwrap on most of my rods because I like how they look and I am doing mostly Inshore saltwater rods where weight and bulk are unnoticed. MAke a metallic Silver underwrap, and use any color Nylon thread as an overwrap - without Color Preserver. Make sure to put a light coat of epoxy on teh underwrap, and to burnish teh guide wraps. What will happen is the color of the thread stays the same, and you see a hint of the metallic silver show through. I use this method of bleeding on all the rods I've built, and the true beauty is not seen until you are out on the water in the sunlight.

Billy

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2002 09:32PM

Charcoal 441 and metallic gold. Pretty sharp.

Posted by: Justin Hansen (---.DATANET.NYU.EDU)
Date: January 28, 2002 10:39PM

With the post concerning the mettalic silver showing through, are you using NCP thread for the over wrap. Just curious as this sounds like an idea I would like to try. Thanks.

Posted by: HenrySelesa (---.tm.net.my)
Date: January 29, 2002 08:26AM

Billy, wouldn't the guide feet show when the coloured thread (say, red) bleed?
Henry

Date: January 29, 2002 09:51AM

Justin - I use Nylon A for all my wrapping.

Hernry - yes it does show through. You would figure this looks pretty awful though, huh? What I've been doing is after grinding the guide with a 150-grit sandpaper disk, I quickly and carefully pass it over teh rest of the guide foot, removing the paint on black guides. Now when it bleeds through over the guide foot, you do not get a black stripe.

Here are 2 pictures of bleed through (although the Purple rod I did not use the above method to rid the black stripe - it did make me realize that something needed to be done.)

[momentoffame.com]

Posted by: Will Parham (---.nationwide.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 09:59AM

I'm with Mike, charcaol 441 with no CP and a metallic trim band. I have used just about every available metallic trim with this thread and it all looked good.

Out of context a bit
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 29, 2002 05:17PM

Agree about using metallic thread. Dark base, charcoal is good. For lighter contrast maybe gunsmoke. Garnet also looks classic.

But, a thought struck me. Wouldn't it be nice to have Titanium metallic thread, a bit less shiney than silver and toward matching gunsmoke or titanium metal colored guides or rings?
Sure, be contrary.... I know.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: Out of context a bit
Date: January 29, 2002 08:55PM

Rich - I have a metallic thread from Madeira hat matches Gudebrod color 441. Is that close, or too dark?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster