I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tarpon rod
Posted by: Chris Cahill (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 26, 2002 12:42PM

I would like opinions about your "ultimate Tarpon fly rod". I have always been strictly a trout fisherman until my first trip to the Everglades last year for Snook and now I'm going after Tarpon this spring and need your input on desirable components as I want to build my own this winter. Thanks in advance for your input

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tarpon rod
Posted by: Lincoln Parmer (---.atw.pa.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: January 26, 2002 06:34PM

Dear Chris: you cant go wrong with the Lamiglas Ti700's Lots of power in a 4 pc. blank. Some tarpon can get large and they like to bulldog you. Setting the hook is only 1/2 the battle you gotta be able to hold on. The Ti 700 should allow you to do this quite well. A fugi seat with a fighting butt, and cork grip big enuf that you wont get hand cramps during an hour long fight. The beauty of the Ti700 is the reserve butt power, and a softer tip to cushion those strikes. Call Todd @ Lamiglas or email him on the left side here. Dont use too small of guides, Fuji Concept Sics will work well, and forget thats right forget the hookkeeper, youll just wind up ripping it off the first time you get your line wrapped around it. Trust me. Ask anybody whose donew a lot of flyroddin in the salt. Its a rough game. Good Luck whatever you decide. Roundman

Re: tarpon rod
Posted by: Jeff Vadakin DBA Fish Stix (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 27, 2002 02:08PM

Guess the Board monitor doesn't like my LEGAL NAME, so I'll try again.
The rod you will need will depend on the size tarpon and conditions where you'll be fishing. For shallow water (5' or less),and poons in the #125 class, you'll be making lots of casts. a 10 wt. will not kill you . For sight casting at Homasassa, where the Taponies are MUCH larger and deeper water is within running distance, a 12 wt. is in order. My customers prefer Sage RPLXI blanks for their presentation and wall thickness. GOOD reel seat with a fighting butt for sure. It's your option for foregrip or extended grip . A size 20 Titanium SiC stripper with a second 16 for starters. If you go with snakes, nothing smaller than a #5. Oversize tip. Sunscreen, polarized lenses, and tranquilizers. Good Luck. Take lots of pictures and turn 'em loose.

Thanks Jeff
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 27, 2002 03:28PM

Thanks for making my job that much harder, Jeff. The rules of this board ask for those who wish to post to use their actual name. I am pretty certain your driver's license does not say "Fish Stix". Neither does your birth certificate. If you want to put your business name on your post or message as well, that's fine. But your real name is the requirement and you have known that for some time. In fact, you have been posting here under your real name. Why suddenly change now and cause me a problem?

To ask for such a simple thing as putting your name behind your posts cannot be a terrible burden on anyone. It has been the rule since day one and is now listed on two different places on this site. To be perfectly honest, I have just about had enough of the nonsense from those who want to email me and explain all the silly reasons why they should not have to post their names behind what they write.

The overwhelming response from those who have called and emailed me is to stick with the requirement of people having to list their first and last names on the posts they make. I would say the ratio is easily 50 to 1 on having people use their real and full names on their posts.

So, those of you who have some adversion to using your name, just want to prove a point, or simply make trouble - please go somewhere else. I cannot believe asking you to put your name behind your post is such a burden, but if it is, again please go somewhere else.

Sorry for the blow up. But enough is enough. I am really sick and tired of this nonsense. If the rules are not followed (and they are so very, very simple and require nothing more than your name and a civil tone) then the moderators will remove the post. That's the way it is, and the way it will continue to be.

Tarpon Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 27, 2002 03:50PM

Okay, back to the question. If you need real lifting power and some measure of durability, then take a hard look at the Graphite USA blanks. I'd want something in the 11 or 12 weight range for the big fish, a minimum of a 10 only if you are talking fish under 50 pounds.

I like and use the Fuji titanium SIC guides, with a size 10 typically being my smallest. Also the Fuji graphite/nylon reel seat.

I have built hundreds of these tarpon rods (most on my own blanks, but they aren't available now. I feel the GUSA is a good substitute) and the customer's love them and many are going on their 10th to 15th year of hard service. The pieces listed will stay with you for the long haul.

Remember please
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 27, 2002 07:28PM

Tom - Please remember that for every complaint and every smart comment someone makes at your expense, there are probably 100 or more of us rod builders who really appreciate this wonderful resource and site and understand that it is the rules you set out and the way your moderators patrol this board that make it the best on the internet. Don't change a thing. Please.

I also agree that asking that full names be posted on each message is something everyone should be willing to do.

Re: Remember please
Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 28, 2002 05:59PM

I just picked up the GUSA 9012DHS Windjammer blank. I have a couple more rods to build before I can start my Tarpon rod but the blank feels good I don't think I will have a problem turning a big one with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster