I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Intersection Point
Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 25, 2002 10:04PM

I have not grasp the concept yet of this intersection point that has been discussed from time to time on this board. Can anyone help me here by quickly explaining what this is and how it applies. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Intersection Point
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ym.rnc.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 25, 2002 10:19PM

The intersection point is used when using the Concept system. It is the point on a rod where the center line of your reel and rod intersect.
It is that point that place your guide. From there to the tip use #7's for arguments sake. From the intersection point to the reel you use which ever size guide that you require to allow the line to just touch the guide ring .

This is a very basic description and I am sure that others will pipe in and help.

Rolly

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 25, 2002 11:11PM

Put your reel on the rod. Lie the rod on the edge of a table with the edge of the table intersecting the reel spool centerline. Now look up the table edge and you will see where the blank extends out to the table edge and then extends out past it. Where the table edge and blank meet is the intersection point. That's where your choke or intersection guide goes. Make it the smallest you plan on using. Then use the same size on out to the tip and from there back size your guides so that they reach the table edge. It's quick and easy and will outperform any type spinning guide set-up you can imagine.

Date: January 26, 2002 12:07AM

Thank you, I just checked it on one of the first rods I made. a couple years ago. I can't believe the guides on that spinning rod. very big, way to big, but that's what was recommended to me. No wonder the rod is so un-balanced. The guides come off next week. Thanks again. Would this apply to the new concept guides as well?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 26, 2002 08:50AM

You can utilize the New Guide Concept without using New Concept Guides, but in some cases the high frames of those guides will allow you achieve the necessary line path you are shooting for.

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins (---.tnt1.branson.mo.da.uu.net)
Date: January 26, 2002 09:35AM

So to clarify. From the choke guide to the tip, the guides are all the same size? I do not do alot of spinning, but would like to try this to compare. I understand the new concept of getting the line as close to blank and as soon as possible, but usually there are a couple of transition guides in there before running 6's or whatever the rest of the way out.

Date: January 26, 2002 07:54PM

The way I understand it now, (Please correct me if I'm wrong) is that the new guide concept system (for Spinning)is to get you to the smallest and lightest guides as soon as possible, and that while using the intersection point (choke point) shows you where you can start running the same guides out to the tip. The edge of the table will show you how tall the guides need to be allowing a smooth line flow cone to the intersect point. Combine all that with the equal angle guide placement to determine where your guides need to be. Use a stripper 1/2 the diameter of reel face to start your guide size selection. I hope thats all right, it makes a lot of sense and answers a lot of questions. Thanks

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 26, 2002 09:03PM

From the choke/intersection guide on out to the tip there is not reason to transition guides. You quickly bring the line down to the smallest size guide you can run and keep the guides at that size on out.

This same concept applies to casting and fly rods, at least when talking guide size. There is no reason to go through 5 or 6 sizes of guides. Once the line passes through the first two or so, the rest can all be of the same size at no detriment whatsoever to the line flow. In many cases it actually improves it.

Date: January 27, 2002 01:04AM

Thanks, This will be a big help

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.62.mhub.grid.net)
Date: January 27, 2002 11:31AM

This method will not work for reels that are not canted. Many of the older spinning reels and also most Penn reels do not have a discernable cant. You have to use your best judgement on where to set your butt guide and go from there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster