I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wow!
Posted by: Mark Carlton (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 25, 2002 08:30PM

Got home today to find my email box jammed with requests for rod repair. Some mentioned the Tackleworks site. What happened? Did the first ad for the site run in one of the fishing magazines? I'd like to know which one so I can see it.

Thanks, Tom. Looks like Tackleworks is going to be a winner. I just didn't expect this much at one time. I guess having too much work is better than having none at all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wow!
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 26, 2002 08:48AM

Most of the ads for TackleWorks will not run until sometime in the Spring. However, notices and press releases about the directory have been mailed to almost 600 fishing clubs and magazines across North America (one national fishing magazine is slated to run a story on the TackleWorks site in the Spring).

Compared to TackleWorks, both RodMaker and this board are very small endeavors. TackleWorks is going to be a huge benefit to millions of fishermen, along with those rod and reel and custom rod builders who are listed on the site. It's just going to take a month or so longer to really get it off the ground. But I promise you it will happen.

I am glad you are already getting some calls from your listing.

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 26, 2002 09:25AM

Tom,

I currently do not build rods as a full time endever. I just went on-line with my own web site last week. I had planned on considering a listing in Tackleworks in the future. Your comments have made me rethink about it. I should probably get in early. Could you email me the details and cost of listing on Tackleworks? I know you are busy, but would appreciate the info.

Bill Doherty
www.dohertycustomrods.com

Date: January 26, 2002 08:44PM

Bill,

I know you asked me to remove this as you thought it was an email. If you permit me however, I'd like to provide some info here on the board as I am getting so many questions concerning the site.

During 2002, most of the major North American fishing magazines will have ongoing classified ads promoting the TackleWorks Directory of rod and reel repair persons and custom rod builders. Many will also make mention of the site in their News and What’s New columns. In addition, a large scale direct mailing and marketing campaign will begin later this month to inform the millions of fishermen throughout North American that TackleWorks is the place to go to find repair and custom building services in their local areas.

If you think this is something that would interest you, please let me know. I can advise the cost in an email. It is very reasonable for this kind of exposure.

You also need to include all the contact information you wish listed along with the following possible services:

Rod Repair
Reel Repair
Custom Rod Building
Rod Parts
Reel Parts
Warranty Center

I believe TackleWorks will be a great success and will generate new business for all those who are listed.

Tom Kirkman
RodMaker Magazine

It's Starting
Date: January 27, 2002 09:35AM

This is from an email I received this morning from a representative of the Salty Fly Rodders. It is just one of many local groups that are alerting their members to the TackleWorks Directory. As the ad says, "Will They Find You There?"

Tom,

I'm having the site (TackleWorks) put into our Newsletter so all our members can benefit from it. Some of our older members don't have a computer but do have grandchildren to help them. I feel that this will be the best way for all to receive the information.

Thanks again,

Betty Anne Timmermann
Pres. "Salty" Flyrodders of New York

Re: It's Starting
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 27, 2002 10:07AM

Curious if anyone has an average of turn around time on simple repairs. I try to get them back to the local shops in a couple of days but if I am away for two or three days I always end up with 8-10 rod repairs waiting when I return.
John

Re: It's Starting
Date: January 27, 2002 10:28AM

John,

That varies. When I was in this full time I normally tried to do turn around in one week. Top replacements were usually done while the customer waited, unless it requried rewrapping.

If I had an oddball repair job, or needed to find an odd part, it might take 2 weeks or longer to turn it around. Luckily, these type jobs were few and far between.

As we both know, quick turn around is a key element of any successful rod repair business. But it also requires the builder to stock a good assortment of repair parts.

Turn around time
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.62.mhub.grid.net)
Date: January 27, 2002 11:42AM

Lots of variables: time of the year(fishing season or not), availability of parts(older parts getting like hens teeth to find), turn around time on shipping parts when you can find them(won't go into this here), type of work to be done on the rod or reel(complete rebuild or cleaning, amount of corrosion/soaking time, simple repair), etc.

When I was picking up from 5 shops several years ago, I might have 50 or sixty reels and rods a week to work on. I always took the simple repairs and got them out of the way first with rods being done on Monday and reels on Tuesday. Then I would do the reel cleaning on Wednesday and Thursday. Then complete rod rebuilds and customs on Saturday and Sunday. With my full time job and the side business, many 100 hour weeks came and went.

Now I only pick up from 1 shop and other word of mouth work. All of the others closed up. I can usually turn around most anything in 7 days depending on the variables mentioned above. I have actually considered giving up the business this year if things don't improve and just designing a line of saltwater rods for general sale, along with doing customs.

location, location...and considerations
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 27, 2002 07:22PM

I know turn around time can vary depending on the personnel in the rod shop, the amount of fishing traffic, season and so on.
John, perhaps being located in a high volume of fishermen and looking for the repairs, also may have delveloped a following and reputation for this (guru reel seat repairman, but I won't kid John about this...sorry to mention it). Location has much to do with the volume and thus the turnaround. In the summer it can be overwhelming in parts where fishermen congregate and are actively breaking the equipment. In the warmer climes, it can be a year round thing with repairs that quickly can pile up.
Also, another thing to mention as Mike alludes to is the idea of doing this nature of work as a part time proposition. Those in the business full time and with shops and buildings to occupy and maintain with perhaps a tackle business in tow, I bet will fully understand what committments go along with the repair business and the demands.

I have good freinds and aquanitances in this business that are retired or part time with the venture who lament for more work coming their way?. Problem is, the customer expects the idea of being there for them (and say repairing the tip as they wait), as any service retail shop where they may take equipment for repair. Not to knock the requirements of a fellow in keeping a full time job and doing repair on the side, but there can be a lot to keeping up a full time shop for repair and tackle business to keep things going and customer may prefer to choose going in their direction.
Part of the committment I also believe is the idea of keeping stock of parts to do the jobs as they come in.

Mike, seems like you had a good schedule, but is 100 hours enough??haha
I'll tell you that even full time in the rod business and doing repairs 'on the side' (but really all the time) it is more committment that many would care to entertain. Sometimes going back to that second job can be more than tempting. Maybe moving to the warmer climes is even more tempting and having the 'better' location?? Just teasing, John.

Rich

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster