I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A Reel Question
Posted by: Rob Boughton (65.82.96.---)
Date: January 25, 2002 11:37AM

Probably not entirely relevant to this board--but related... Is there a board or website that reviews not just new reels, but reels in general? I'd love to know how certain Okuma models rate against Penn, Shimano, etc. I have a bunch of questions as I'm being asked more and more to recommend reels for the rods I build, many of which I don't own nor have ever seen or used. I rate fisherman's opinions much higher that any manufacturer's review.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Reel Question
Posted by: Elrod(Jon Jenkins) (65.212.56.---)
Date: January 25, 2002 11:40AM

I have found customer reviews on www.epinions.com of reels. The amount of reviews are limited but you might luck out and find some helpful information.
ELrod

Re: A Reel Question
Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2002 02:59PM

www.allcoastsportfishing.com

AllCoast
Posted by: Jeff Thomson (65.104.119.---)
Date: January 25, 2002 03:24PM

Capt. Bill is right about this site. You want to go to the Tackle Board. There have been numerous posts comparing Okuma vs Penn & Shimano. Okuma usually falls very short in quality and reliability, although recent experience has somewhat improved. The board tends to concentrate on salt water tackle. There are also detailed discussions comparing Penn to Shimano and Daiwa (and others), and comparisons of different lines within a single manufacturer. This is a valuable resource for the saltwater fisherman. If you don't find a thread on the exact subject you're interested in, ask a question. You will find a number of experts glad to weigh in - especially in the winter, when there's no fishing to keep them occupied. By the way, there is also a rod building board there. This board also emphasises salt water tackle. You will find discussions of heavier blanks and their applications, such as those put out by Calstar, Seeker, and GUSA, and also discussions of salt water guides, such as AFTCO rollers. The AllCoast rod building board is not as extensive as this one or the Rodguild board, but plays, IMHO, an important role for the saltwater rod builder.

Re: AllCoast
Posted by: Quintin George (---.tlna.com)
Date: January 25, 2002 04:01PM

Re: AllCoast
Posted by: Brett Gore (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 25, 2002 05:01PM

You might want to take a look at www.outdoorreview.com. Go to the flyfishing section and you will find quite a few reviews on reels, rods, and many other items.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster