I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sanding coated wraps?
Posted by: Dan Hermann (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2002 12:17PM

Is there a way to sand down the 1st. coat on a wrap? Being new, I seem to get some uneven coating on my wraps.

Thanks,
Dan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sanding coated wraps?
Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 24, 2002 01:51PM

well sanding is kinda the wrong term to use do this get yourself a new razor blade shave we shall call it overbuild off them if you take some very fine paper and scuff not sand the whole epoxy as best you can , wipe clean with denatured alcohol wait 5 min's then reepoxy with thin coats. this should do the trick ....
Tight wraps ....John T Burford aka Tightline Rod's

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2002 02:09PM

There was an excellent article in a past Rodmaker that showed exactly how to fix a wrap just like yours. In a nutshell, you need to use a sanding block to get the wrap back down even and then recoat with a thin coating to put the top shine back on.

One of the biggest things beginners do wrong is putting on too much finish. Well, heck, all of us have done it at some time. Better to use two thinner coats than to try to do the whole job with one. That's where you can get into trouble with the uneven wraps.

Posted by: John Chaney (---.dsl.kscymo.swbell.net)
Date: January 24, 2002 03:15PM

keep in mind that if you sand or shave through the epoxy and hit the wraps, you will leave a mark on the wrap when you re-epoxy. I know I've done it.
John Chaney

Posted by: Elrod(Jon Jenkins) (65.212.56.---)
Date: January 24, 2002 03:19PM

As said above, I built for 6 years struggling with lumps and not until I started applying AS LITTLE finish as possibe did they go away. I coat all the wraps, then go back with a spatula and take off as much as I possibly can. You would think this technique would require many coats, but I can accomplish a good finish in 2 coats. (If have inlays or weaves, may take 3)
Elrod

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.midtn.chartertn.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 11:49PM

If you are removing any finsh make sure the finish is fully hardened before trying to sand or else it will just gob up. I prefer to use a light touch with a file if the need arises. You can even up the finish on decorative wraps & weave and over inlays with this method too. Use long strokes parallel to the rod length & you can quickly make your lumps go away & be ready to refinish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster