I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tom Kirkman's book
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 24, 2002 05:43AM

To all newbie rod builders the book written by Tom Kerland ROD-BUILDING GUIDE is one of the best books I have read for beginer rod buiders I have read. It is carefuly detailed and the colored pictured helps greaty to explain each procedure. I wish I had abook like this 25 years ago

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tom Kirkman's book
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 24, 2002 06:07AM

Sorry about all the incorrect spellings in the note about the Rod-Building Guide book by Tom Kirkman I was tired and it was 2:00am when i went back and seen my spelling I almost passed out from embarsement...please except my appologies. I need a spell checker and my wife laughed about it.
Bob

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: January 24, 2002 06:56AM

robert,
What happened to the second message on the way to the forum? LOL

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 24, 2002 09:35AM

Bob,

Thank you for the kind comments. Although it did not turn out exacty as I had hoped, it did pretty much fullfill the original intent, which was to offer a book that could be understood and helpful to beginners, but would also be more than just a "do this and then do that" sort of how-to book. We attempted to include the "why" and the "how" along with several options for doing all the associated tasks inherent in rod building.

I still feel that for those who just want to assemble a rod, one rod, that the Flex Coat books are the best bet. My book is aimed more at the guy who is getting into rod building for the long haul and instead of just wanting to know what to do, wants to know why he is doing it. I suppose it is succesful enough in that regard.

The book will be revised and updated next year probably. Now that we have seen how well it is selling there are some things I have asked the publisher to include in an updated version. There are also two more books in the works - an advanced rod building book, and a decorative wrap book, but I cannot give any time table for when they will be done. Certainly not this year.

Thanks again. I am glad you found the book helpful.

Posted by: Rick Gilman (166.109.135.---)
Date: January 24, 2002 11:06AM

I have read about four or five books on rod building and Tom's is by far the best I have read for a beginner like myself.. Rick Gilman

Posted by: Dave Lockman (65.173.2.---)
Date: January 24, 2002 11:29AM

I agree that Tom's book is the best. I have several books, including Dale Clemen's and a couple others. Tom's by far is the best at explaining how and why to do things. Dale Clemen's book is great, too, once you understand various procedures. I made the mistake of buying that one first and struggling through the advanced techniques. (I should have known by the title - ADVANCED Custom Rod Building) I still consider myself a beginner and refer to Tom's book first when I have questions.

Tom-

I know you moderate a couple of message boards, publish a magazine, help organize seminars.... Now, I am not a backer of human cloning, but I think if we cloned you and it could get those new books out faster, I may change my vote just this once... LOL

Dave Lockman

Not just for beginners
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 24, 2002 08:23PM

We nearly always speak of this as a begginers book but it is fair to say that long time builders will find many items of interest in it too. The chapter on blanks and the associated terms of modulus, action and power along with the chapter on rod spine are most valuable for even the old pros. So much of the previous bad or outdated info in rod building circles is put to rest here. I wish I had had this book when I first started. It would have kept me from making a lot of mistakes.

Also -
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 25, 2002 07:09PM

Is it the best all-around rod booking book? Maybe. Is it the best value? Certainly.

For 15 lousy bucks I would challenge anyone to come up with that much info in any other rod building book. The chapter on turning grips and making diamond wraps is worth the entire price to anyone wanted to get started in those areas. And that's just one chapter!

i agree
Posted by: DeanV (---.tnt5.grand-rapids.mi.da.uu.net)
Date: January 27, 2002 12:21PM

I am working on my first rod and the book has been very helpful. One thing that I do like (although it can be frustating sometimes) is that he does not give you all the answers on spine placement and guide placement but tells you how to figure it out for yourself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster