I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blueing guides?
Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: January 23, 2002 02:53PM

I saw another post a little while ago talking about blueing ferrules, and that got my twisted mind working. I saw the blueng stuff down at the fleet-farm store by my house, i guess it is for guns. Does anyone know if the stuff works on stainless steel? and if so, will it attack guide rings? I want to know because I would like to try it on some casting or spinning guides with silver frames, after all, why should the bamboo guys get to do all the cool stuff? And this may give a neat effect if used with the right thread color.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blueing guides?
Posted by: Will Parham (---.nationwide.com)
Date: January 23, 2002 03:57PM

Cold blueing will not work on stainless steel. Very simply put, blueing is controlled rust. Non-corrosive material cannot be done.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 23, 2002 05:10PM

I don't know enough about this subject to really offer any constructive advice. I do know that stainless steel will corrode however. Whether or not it will corrode at a rate that makes it possible to cold blue or not I cannot say. I have used the Birchwood-Casey product on some of my common steel lathe parts and it worked well.

Posted by: jeff nail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: January 23, 2002 07:15PM

well, maybe I will just go get a jar, and throw some guides in and see what happens.

Posted by: Ed Sinn (mrsinbad) (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2002 10:01PM

Jeff,

You could give it a try, but I would be shocked if it worked. Basically, the chrome content that makes the steel stainless will prevent the blue from sticking. I used to re-blue my rifles when I was younger and I had a brainstorm to try to blue my knives (stainless 440C) and it didn't work. Let us all know if it works out OK.

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.3g.quik.com)
Date: January 24, 2002 12:44AM

Hi,

Bluing works well on nickel silver ferrules, but I don't know about stainless steel guides. On trick someone recommended is warming some automatic transmission fluid on a hot plate and dumping some guides in. After a period of time, they are supposed to come out looking like Damascus steel.

I usually don't pass along stuff that I haven't tried, but this one sounds neat to me.

Of course, be careful, and follow this suggestion only at your own risk.

Harry

Posted by: jeff nail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: January 25, 2002 03:46PM

i don't know about that one harry, may work, but it also sounds like a good way to burn the house down!

Posted by: john bratton (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: January 25, 2002 04:30PM

yes Harry the transmission fluid works really looks neat.but do it out side you have to get the fluid veary hot.like Jeff Nail said it is a neat way to burn your house down.later regards John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster