I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

0-wt. question/reels and thread
Posted by: Charles DeGroot (---.trailnet.com)
Date: January 23, 2002 08:27AM

Hey folks:

This is only indirectly a rod-building question. I'll soon be putting together a 0-wt. flyrod, and I would love to hear from others who have owned or built the same as to which reels they prefer for such a rod. If it matters, I currently plan to use an REC cap and ring downlocking reel seat (mortised or unmortised, I still haven't decided). Other recommendations for reel seats are welcome (I am aware of cork, of course, but would prefer a superlight seat featuring a nice wood.)

This IS a building question: I read somewhere a reference to 00-size thread for wrapping 0-wts. Curiously, I have yet to see such stuff offered in any rodbuilding catalog. Does this stuff truly exist? Is it that important to use it? Is size-A nylon detrimental to so slender a blank?

Feedback would be most appreciated. I'm rather new to this hobby.

Dry crotches,
Charles

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 0-wt. question/reels and thread
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 23, 2002 08:50AM

00 thread most certainly exists but only in select colors. I can't imagine A size harming anything. It's only a very small bit larger.

Posted by: Bob Petti (---.co.us.ibm.com)
Date: January 23, 2002 10:36AM

I'm assuming the rod you're building is the 8' Sage?

For reels, I'd look at a true large arbor. Waterworks, Sage 3100, or a Bauer Little Mac Lite. These reels are lightweight, yet will have sufficient spool diameter to keep the line from coming off the reel in tight coils.

For reel seats, you could do worse than look at Bob Venneri's line of seats. You won't beat the wood or machining anywhere else. He's a great guy to work with directly, or you can get his stuff from one of the vendors on the board (I know Golden Witch stocks his seats). I have a spalted cherry burl slide band seat that is a work of art - I'm saving it for whenever I get that extra special rod. I give his stuff the highest recommendation.

Of course, Bellinger and REC offer very nice slide band seats as well. Struble only offers the D2 with a teak insert as far as I know. A nice seat, but nothing special. I would not be so concerned about the weight of the wood in the seat for an 8' rod (if that is indeed the length rod you are building). For a much shorter rod, maybe.

For threads, I think size A nylon would be fine. If you are really concerned about thread diameter, Pearall's Gossamer is another option, but colors are obviously limited. I use size A on all my graphite rods. The tips of just about any fly rod is going to be quite fine, so it's not just a concern of a 0-weight.

Have you decided on your grip and guides already?

Bob

Posted by: DavidHenney (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: January 23, 2002 02:36PM

Guderod silk would be a good thread to use and you have a good selection of color, also Fish Hawk thread would work too. Both guderod Silk and Fish Hawk come in size 00 and 30.. I use 00 for guide wraps and 3/0 for trim bands.. I know guys that have the Factory Sage 0wt and the reelseat they use is a pain in the neck I have had guys complain about reel falling off.. Thanks Davesrods

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: January 23, 2002 02:41PM

I think size a would be fine, just don't use too much tension, but like the other guys said silk would be good too. I really think that the o weight is a plot by the man to get you to buy another rod you don't need! just kidding, it should be a fun rod, the lightest I have is a 2, and that is a fun rod, makes a 6 inch brookie feel like a monster!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster