I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sanding Down Hyplon Grips
Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.wff.nasa.gov)
Date: July 13, 2001 11:25AM

I'm trying out Hypalon grips for the first time, and need to shape them. Before I start shaping, I thought it would be prudent to ask for advise first. Can anyone share any special concerns with this material, and the best way to shape it. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sanding Down Hyplon Grips
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 13, 2001 12:03PM

It will cut with speed, or power. If you have access to a wood lathe with plenty of power you will be amazed at how easily it cuts. It can also be cut on most rod lathes but you will have to use a bit more speed due to the lack of power. I have found that cutting with high speed tends to generate a bit of heat and this heat seems to soften, permanently, the Hypalon to some degree. If given the choice, I use as much power as available and cut quickly.

For cutting/shaping, I like drywall sanding screen. This is an open mesh coating with cutting grit. It won't load up quite as bad as sandpaper. I like to start with a 60 or 80 grit (this is a bit harder to find) and finish up with 120. This leaves a smooth finish on the grip but still a bit of texture which I think makes it easier to grip. Some guys will continue on down through 400 grit, but on the synthetic type grip materials I have not found this to be necessary. I think you can get the sanding screen in grits up to around 220, so you could easily go that far if you wanted.

If you are starting with a unusually large piece that needs to be worked down quite a bit, start with a Stanley SurForm flat file. This will remove material rather quickly and get you down to business.

By the way - this stuff is messy! If you can take it outside to do your sanding/cutting/shaping, so much the better. You'll also find that a bit of static electricity will be generated and make the black particules stick to everything in sight. Wear some sort of dust mask too. You can't believe how much of this stuff goes right up your nose. Don't know that it will hurt you, but it sure can't help.

Tom Kirkman
RodMaker Magazine

Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.vbch1.va.home.com)
Date: July 13, 2001 06:11PM

Tom:
Thank you for the assistance. I will use it

Posted by: pete (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 16, 2001 10:40PM

I usually shape my grips by using a drill press, something with at least a 1/2 chuck. A piece of metal rod (stainless, aluminum, or steel) 3/8- 1/2'' or all-thread will do. Just make sure it is straight. Fit the grip to the rod using tape. Make sure it is a tight fit or the grip will spin.
When making longer grips support the other end of the shaft using something like a pillow block bearing or some sort of bushing to prevent excessive wobble.
Obviously this can be a hazardous way of forming grips if your not careful. Be sure to work at comfortable speeds (drill).
I like to use a surform file to get my rough dimensions. Then I use scotchbrite to progressively make the grip smooth. Usually a black for rough then a green to finish it off. I don't like my grips glass-smooth. Get your self a cheap plastic caliper to monitor your progress when shaping. I've been doing this for a while with excellent results. Besides you can complete a set of grips for a small spinner in a matter of minutes. Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster