I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice on choosing a blank...
Posted by: Tom (---.public.svc.webtv.net)
Date: July 12, 2001 07:37PM

For lack of better sense or for reasons of ego, I have caught myself coveting thy neighbors Cape Fear Rod.

He has a 6'6", Medium power, Fast action designed for 6#-14# line.

The Scot in me is telling me that $170 for a blank is crazy. I tend to agree with my Scot side.

My question is what other high quality blanks will give me the ruggedness of their Hextex design, the action of the blank, the strength, etc.

I am more interested in strength and durability (along with the sensitivity) than I am the excotic sensitivity of an IM 10, or a Gloomis GLX, or a St. Croix V. I have built and used these high modulus rods in salt water and don't like them

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice on choosing a blank...
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2001 07:58PM

Think GUSA tough to beat ,rugged yet still light enough and sensitive

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.aurora1.co.home.com)
Date: July 12, 2001 08:30PM

Excellent suggestion,John. GUSA says it all!!! Lighter for the same or less money.If there any fish left in 2525,"if man is still alive", someone will be fishing the GUSA.Or paying about $25,000 dollars for it on @#$%&.LOL

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 12, 2001 08:52PM

I would compare the HexTek I have to most any inexpensive, heavy wall fiberglass blank. Maybe like an Ugly Stick. Not much performance, but very durable. If you want a really tough rod, any of the heavy walled fiberglass blanks should do it. And for a lot less money. I can't believe what I paid for mine and would never buy another unless they were to drop the price to under $40 per. I'm not an expert rod builder and may be missing something, but for my own use I didn't like it.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.infoave.net)
Date: July 13, 2001 09:04AM

The Graphite USA blanks are the most durable of all the high-performance blanks, still offering a blank that is light in weight and has a very good level of the sensitivity factor. Their product feels much better when built into a rod, instead of just the blank in hand. Many folks are reluctant to try these fine blanks, but once you do, you will figure out what is said about them, to be on the up-and-up. They are tough mothers!!
Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Will (---.nationwide.com)
Date: July 13, 2001 10:37AM

GUSA. I will put it up against any rod on the market. It has no equal!!! Incredible strength and oh so sensitive. Do yourself a favor, call Bob, and get one of these blanks. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster