I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Concept Guide Spaceing
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.131.usr.olynet.com)
Date: July 12, 2001 02:32AM

I am in the process of building a 6ft6in. Lamiglas rod ( CGFW78 2ML)
Spining rod. Does any one have an idea how to set up the New Guide Concept ..I am not new to rod building only to this concept

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Concept Guide Spaceing
Posted by: Ed (---.hvi.net)
Date: July 12, 2001 06:05AM

Robert,
Check out Summer Moon's website (link on left) and let us
know your address. We would be happy to send you a New
Concept Guide Specification sheet along with one of our
catalogs. That will give you a starting point for guide placement
on spinning or casting rods 5 to 9 feet in length.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 12, 2001 09:16AM

The concept system as it applies to fly rods mainly concerns the quick drop from the stripping guide down to your smallest sized running guides. What we have learned is that it is not at all necessary to go through progressively smaller sizes on the way down to your smallest sized running guides. For instance, in the past you might have used something like 12 - 10 - 8 - 7 - 7 - 6 - 6 - 6 - top. With the new concept system you would go perhaps 12 - 10 - 7 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 6 - 6 - top. (These are Fuji single foot guides and not necessarily the correct number for your particular rod - just an example.)

Dropping quickly to the smallest sized running guide reduceds weight, particularly near the tip, which increases rod efficiency.

We have done two in-depth articles in RodMaker outlining the what, where, how and why for the New Guide Concept. Check our back issue page at www.rodmakermagazine.com if you are interested in a more detailed account of how to use this system to build a better rod.

Date: July 13, 2001 05:47PM

Ed: Thank for your responce. My wife talked to your wife today.

Posted by: Chris-Flying Fish (---.jaring.my)
Date: July 13, 2001 09:02PM

If you're interested, I'll email you an article on the design concept I wrote about 3 years back for a magazine.

Date: July 14, 2001 03:10AM

I would appreciate if you would email me your artical on the new guide concept..Please send it to warren321@yahoo.com
Thanks Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 14, 2001 09:03AM

Bob,

Go to the back issue page at www.rodmakermagazine.com and order the July/August and November/December 2000 issues and you will have the most complete information on the New Guide Concept System ever assembled in one place. The two issues together will cost you only a few bucks, mailed first class, and will generate rod building dividends many, many times over that amount. Thanks.

Tom Kirkman
RodMaker Magazine

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster