I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New G-Loomis "Slate" blanks
Posted by: Dave (---.montanavision.com)
Date: January 06, 2002 05:19PM

I am planning on building a 9' 7wt fly rod. I have owned a few of the original IMX fly rods in the past and really enjoyed them. Loomis is stating that the new "Slate" blanks are the old IMX blanks with a new paint job. I am a bit sceptical because in the past, I received a GL4 rod for a broken IMX and they felt totally different. I was VERY dissapointed in the performance of the GL4. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New G-Loomis "Slate" blanks
Posted by: Lee Ackart (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2002 08:22PM

I have been told, by someone knowledgeble in the industry, that the new IMX blanks are not the same actions as the old. If that is correct, then Loomis has merely reintroduced the IMX fiber and developed new actions. That is too bad, for the old IMX actions were superior instruments but their replacements (GL3 and GL4) were real dogs. I think you should be skeptical and move very slowly. If you want a series of factory blanks that come close to the old IMX, I suggest you investigate the IM700 fibers and actions from Lamiglas, of if you are satisfied with a house brand blank, look into the Custom Builder III series fron Dale Clemens Custon Tackle.

GL3
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2002 09:26PM

That's the first time I have ever head anyone call any of the GL3 blanks 'dogs'!

I didn't care for the GL4's but still rank the GL3's as among the greatest rod blanks every built. The all around performance and price has put them in a postition that makes them the blanks that everyone else compares to. They're also pretty darn tough considering the level of performance and I don't think the IMX can take anywhere near the rough handling of the GL3.

Just my opinions.

Re: GL3
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 07, 2002 02:10AM

I like GLoomis rods, but things have changed sence Shimano took over onwership. You can't go by LOOMIS's old blank rateing also materals have changed in the last couple of years this goes for any rod manufacture. So all I can say is look around to find a manufactured rod and see if that is the action you are looking for. Then use a rod to blank conversion chart to get the blank you want.
Bob

Re: GL4
Posted by: Chris (---.jaring.my)
Date: January 07, 2002 09:20AM

I've the GL4 9 weight and I prefer it to the GL3s and IMXs that I've tried. One man's meat another man's poison.

Re: IMX
Posted by: Joe Pheifer (---.tnt2.irvington.nj.da.uu.net)
Date: January 13, 2002 09:35PM

I asked Gary Loomis about the new IMX blanks when I saw him at the Conclave this weekend. He told us that the original IMX had a graphite scrim, but the new ones have a glass scrim. I asked if they had the same tapers as the originals and he said no. Originally he designed the IMX fly rods with a stiff tip to cast weighted flies. Since they are no longer offering GLX blanks, they designed the new IMX blanks to cast more like the GLX than the old IMX.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster