I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

manufacturer of new-style seat?
Posted by: Scott Brockwell (---.s173.tnt1.chts.va.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: January 04, 2002 09:10PM

At least the seat is new to me.

I got the new Cabela's Tackle Craft catalog today and noticed some spin seats with woven graphite inserts and what they are advertising as TiC hardware (I imagine it is titanium colored aluminum). The hoods appear to be Pac Bay, though I can't tell for sure. The threaded barrels, not just the hoods, are metal versus the regular graphite of this type seat.

I am interested in finding out who makes these or offers something like this -- the metal hardware gives some interesting options to those of us who turn all our own seats. Do any of you manufacturers here know about these? Are there any other Fuji DPS-style seats that use aluminum for the hardware, including the threading, other than the full-aluminum style seats (I hate cutting the aluminum centers out of those and dealing with the in-the-white aluminum at the cut).

Thanks,
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: manufacturer of new-style seat?
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 04, 2002 09:29PM

Cabela's buys a lot of overseas made components. Heck I guess that's where most of them are made now. I'd bet it's either from AMTAK, Pac Bay or Forecast. Or that you could get the same seat from one of those.

Re: woven graphite reel seats
Posted by: Richard's Rod & Reel (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 04, 2002 10:43PM

Scott,
We offer those Pacific Bay reel seats with woven graphite inserts and they are nice. The hoods come in stainless chrome, black, gold color, or TiCH (titanium carbide) plated over stainless steel. You can get these complete or the woven graphite inserts separate from the skeleton and hoods. They are available in sizes 16, 17, and 18 which we are currently stocking.

Richard's Rod & Reel Service

Posted by: Tom McNamara (67.8.5.---)
Date: January 05, 2002 12:33AM

Mud Hole has had them on our site as well as the matching TiCh and TiGold guides. The TiCh reel seats and matching TiCh/TiGold guides make for a great combination on any custom rod. Both of these products have held up very well in salt water fishing here in Florida and are becoming a hit with the custom builders.

Visit our web site to read all about them and to place an order for some today!

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<a href="[www.mudhole.com] Here to see them</a>
(Located about half way down the list)
</body>

The Mud Hole Custom Tackle Team
[www.mudhole.com]
Phone: (407) 447-RODS

I meant something a little different
Posted by: Scott Brockwell (---.s191.tnt1.chts.va.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: January 05, 2002 11:26AM

Thanks to each of you.
But, I think I didn't word something quite right. It's not just the hoods on these new seats that are TiC -- it's the threads and all -- the parts that are typically graphite on all the DPS styles of seats. In otherwards, when I replace the woven graphite insert (or whatever other material the inserts are offered in) with my own custom-turned inserts, I'd have titanium carbide hardware AND hoods rather than the usual graphite hardware with stainless or aluminum hoods.

The factory insert is inconsequential to me in this case -- I'd be tossing it and using the inlayed wood inserts I typically make for DPS seats.

You can see these new seats on the Cabela's web site, under a product search for "titanium carbide spin seats." I have ordered a few from there to check them out, but of course they don't offer wholesale accounts to rod businesses -- thus, my search.

Thanks again!
Scott

Posted by: Scott Mumford (---.cts.com)
Date: January 05, 2002 11:43AM

I have built several rods recently using this real seat you are talking about. They make for a very nice handle assy when finished and a couple of the rods that I built 6 mo. ago have been fished hard in freash water only and the reel seats have stood up very well.
I have not been able to find another source for these reel seats yet but I am still looking. I do not think that the reel seat is either Pac Bay, Fuji, or AMTAK. I have not been able to rule out Forecast as I have not been able to find a catalog or web site with a quality picture that I can use for identification.
Can the sponcers of this board please help Scott and Scott identify this reel seat shown in the cabelas catalog so we can purchase it from one of the group instead.
The reel seat is shown on page 21 of cabelas new tackle craft catalog at the top of the page. It has a woven graphite body with hood covers, threads ( about 18 per inch ) and nurled lock nut all made of TiCh.

Thank You all

Posted by: Eric Young (---.intervoice-brite.com)
Date: January 06, 2002 02:32PM

Here is a link to a pic of that seat:

[www.cabelas.com]

Date: January 06, 2002 02:48PM

Ahh shoot...brain not connected to fingers.

I wanted to ask what size outside diameter this seat has? Also is it a skeleton type seat(does the graphite filler come out), or is it all one piece?

I put some of the Tich guides on a 12wt last spring and after a summer of use they still look good.

regards,
Eric

Posted by: Scott Brockwell (---.dinwiddie.k12.va.us)
Date: January 08, 2002 03:55PM

Eric:

When I get the ones I ordered, I'll let you know whether the hardware is already glued-up or not; I sure hope it isn't, as I only intend to use the seat.

As for the size, they list it as 14.2 mm inside diameter, so I imagine it's pretty close to a regular 16 mm seat. I'll measure that for you to to give you an exact dimension.

Scott

Date: January 09, 2002 09:02AM

Thanks Scott...I guesse we were both thinking along the same lines.

Eric

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster