I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Offshore Rod Butt Question?
Posted by: John (66.95.147.---)
Date: January 04, 2002 02:27PM

I built my first stand up rods a few months ago using Shakespeare blanks and Stuart Slick butts. Being my first offshore rods I wanted to keep the costs low. They turned out pretty good so now I'm on to my second pair.

For my second pair I choose a pair of 6ft Seeker Long Range stand ups. I'd also like to use the Stuart slaick butts again. The problem I'm having is that the rod butt is too thick to fit into the slick butts.

The way I see it my options are 1) Sand the last six inches or so of the rod but down to get it to fit in the slick butt (doesn't seem like a good solution). 2) Get a set of Aftco butts and cutt the blank down so I'll still have a 6ft stand up rod. 3) Get a Aftco reel seat and gimbal and use a foam butt.

I really don't want to use foam because I also troll with these rods. I really don't want to use the Aftco uni-butts either because of the cost and the addittional weight.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or which of the above three should I go with?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Offshore Rod Butt Question?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 04, 2002 03:13PM

As I recall the butt of those rods are pretty hefty. If you can sand just a bit, and still have an unsanded portion of the blank (2 or 3 inches minimum) contained within the butt, all will be well. If you are careful in fitting the slick butt to the blank, you should have an integral unit that will be very strong.

I am not, however, advising you to sand off 1/2 inch of wall thickness.

Make sure also that you have looked at all the available slick butts. There may be some to be had that are a bit larger in diameter than what you are using now.

flex coat problems
Posted by: Marcel Charest (---.midmaine.com)
Date: January 04, 2002 03:39PM

Help!!! just put the finish on a rod .But it looks like it has fish eyes.What happened here can some one tell me ? Iam thinking the finish some how was contaminated some how am i right or wrong here ? And can i put heat to it with a lamp to fix this ??? Thank you Marcel

Re: flex coat problems
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 04, 2002 03:50PM

Sounds like a common silicone contamination. Silicone is found in many products and can travel some distance in the air. What have you had in your house the past few days that might contain it? I once had a fellow come in my shop and almost instantly fish eyes appeared on a just finished rod. After some tests, we determined it was his cologne! Took a few days to put two and two together, but I could duplication the problem by a squirt of his cologne in the shop air. That's all it took.

You are in for some trouble. You can recoat but will have to remove the silicone from what you have now. This is not easy.

Ralph may have some better tricks than I do in this regard. All I know to do is to clean with a solvent and try again. I have put down a coat of CP to seal the mess and then refinished. Luckily this has only happend to me a couple of times.

Posted by: John (66.95.147.---)
Date: January 04, 2002 04:18PM

Tom,

I'd have to sand off about 1/16 of an inch at the base of the rod. I'd have to go up about 6 inches before it fits in the butt. That would leave me a good 8 inches+ of unsanded rod in the butt. I guess I have to see if I've got the equipment to do it before I attempt it.

The Seeker's do have a think butt .895. What other Slick Butts are out there? The only one I saw at mudhole was the Stuart model.

Thanks for the advice!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 04, 2002 05:12PM

AMTAK makes some as does Pac Bay. Check both sites for their sizes.

What you would have to sand would not affect anything that you would need to be worried about. However, it'd be a lot easier to get a larger butt than to sand down a blank. If you need to sand it, a lathe would be the best bet.

Posted by: Chris (---.jaring.my)
Date: January 04, 2002 07:09PM

John, one thing you can also do to keep it light is to use foam for the butt, but cover the foam butt with the heat shrink grip (its advertised in the mag I recall). Then when the heat shrink gets worn (if it does) just remove it and shrink on a new one.

Chris-flying fish

Posted by: Jim (65.138.131.---)
Date: January 06, 2002 02:03AM

John, I would go with the slip on AFTCO reelseat but instead of hypalon, just order the slick butt graphite sleave to go over the butt section. Mudhole has the the sleaves sold separately from the aluminum butt.
Jim Racela
aka J.AkuHed
aka Chef Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster