I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single Foot Guides with Double Foot Strippers?
Posted by: Don Bluedorn (---.bccz.com)
Date: January 04, 2002 11:03AM

I know that this has been addressed before, but please bear with me. I'm building my first fly rod with single foot guides (a 9 foot 8 weight, and I'm using Pac Bay single foot guides). Do I use standard "double foot" stripping guides? If not, what type of stripping guides do I use? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single Foot Guides with Double Foot Strippers?
Posted by: Bob Petti (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: January 04, 2002 11:05AM

I use those same guides and indeed use a Fuji double foot stripping guide.

Bob

Posted by: Larry Puckett (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: January 04, 2002 11:41AM

That's the way to go. If you buy your PacBay sets from Hook&Hackle they supply the double foot striprers and the single foot guides all correctly sized for the length of rod you are building--no guesswork involved--FlyDoctor

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt3.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 04, 2002 12:08PM

No offense intended towards Hook and Hackle, but I hope you will shop our sponsors first. It is their sponsor fees that pay for this board and I am pretty certain you will find nearly all of them offer the best possible pricing and the best possibly service. They are here as sponsors because to them, rod building is more than just a business. They build rods themselves and they enjoy supporting the rod building craft.

Single foot guides can be used as stripping guides, if you select one with a higher frame. You will also likely want to use the ones with ceramic inserts, although I must admit I am still confounded by the factories who continue to tell us that ceramic guides are not needed on fly rods as running guides, but then they go and use them for the first one or two guides (strippers). If hard chrome or stainless is entirely sufficient, why do they not use them for stripping guides as well? I have heard the argument about tradition, but am not sure why they say the running guides should be traditional, but not the stripping guides. Go figure.

Double footed stripping guides will take a bit more abuse than the single foot variety, although I think the gap is closing and with the proper security wrap I am not sure that single foot strippers are really at any disadvantage.

Posted by: Don Bluedorn (---.bccz.com)
Date: January 04, 2002 03:20PM

Thank you all for the information. Tom, I purchased the blank and a spinning rod kit (a christmas present for my father-in-law) from a sponsor, but went outside to get the other components because I could not locate the reel seat that I wanted. Since then, I've learned that another sponsor carries both the blank and reel seet that I wanted, and purchasing all of the materials from that sponsor actually would have saved me money. Your point is well taken and I will continue to begin my "shopping" with the sponsors. Thanks again.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: January 04, 2002 05:58PM

I'm glad you brought that up about ring guides as strippers and the rest being snake guides. I've often wondered about that also. Seems like a mismatch, doesn't it.

Also, some bring up the point that the only use for single foot guides is that they don't groove like snake guides. There is a definite improvement in casting performance with the use of single foot smooth ceramic guides.

Just also to throw in we are proud to sponsor this site, and are an authorized Pacific Bay distributor/dealer would be more than happy to assist you with guide choices, sales and sizing to your requirements.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel Service

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster