I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turning reel seats...
Posted by: Joe (---.netusa1.net)
Date: July 09, 2001 04:54PM

I'm looking for any information, opinions, or tips on turning reel seats, hosels, and end caps from square wood blanks. Should I shape the reel seat first using a drive center and live center and then bore the hole? Should I bore the hole first and place the blank on a mandrel to be turned? Should the bore size be as large as possible to minimize weight and then shim out the blank to fit? or Should the bore size fit the blank as closely as possible? I plan on using stabilized wood so hopefully strength will not be an issue if thin walls are needed. Also the inserts will be for spinning rods if balance is a consideration. I would like to add, all of you people out there who add their hard earned input and knowledge to this site can't imagine how much it is appreciated by those of us new to this hobby. It truely makes rod building a hobby unique to all others! Thanks in advance and fantastic web-site.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning reel seats...
Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 09, 2001 07:12PM

Strength isnot really an issue on this items. They are mostly just decorative. For that reason I make mine with a larger bore. That makes the insert weight less and I can shim with materials that are lighter than the wood would be. Same thing for hosels and caps I guess although they are usually small enough that extra weight is not much of a problem. I think if you need extra weight for balancing than you might want to keep the bore down to the blank size as close as possible. Then you'd have more weight.

I have some wood turning experience. In almost all cases you would turn the piece first and then bore it. But there is no reason you couldn't bore it first and then turn it on a mandrel. Doing it that way takes an extra piece of equipment though --- the mandrel.

Posted by: Don Morton (---.localaccess.net)
Date: July 09, 2001 08:05PM

From the square blank I first turn it to a cylinder. This allows me to put the cylinder in a chuck. With the chuck holding the cylinder I can drill the piece in the exact center on the lathe. The size is optional as it can be fitted to the rod adding some weight for balance or drilled to a large opening and use graphite arbors for a lighter seat. The hostels, but caps trim rings and other decrative wooden pieces can be turned with the stock locked in the chuck. A wood lathe with a large chuck is very helpful in turning wooden parts for rod work.

Posted by: Jojo (---.dial-up.ipa.net)
Date: July 09, 2001 10:08PM

Joe,

Take a look at the e-zine Powerfibers at www.powerfibers.com The April issue had an article about turning reel seats. You'll need Adobe Acrobat software to access the pages but a link is provided for the free download should you need it.

Posted by: Phil D'Avanzo (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2001 01:08PM

I just read the powerfiber article on turning seats. I was interested to see what the stabilization method was, but it simply said to stabilize. Can someone explain the stabilization process? Thanks.

Posted by: Bob Petti (---.ny.us.ibm.com)
Date: July 10, 2001 02:51PM

This web site has some good info.

[www.stabilizedwood.com]

Bob

Posted by: Jojo (---.dial-up.ipa.net)
Date: July 10, 2001 08:33PM

My understanding is that typically an acrylic is used as the stabilization medium, applied under pressure. Some have used a solution of Plexiglas, dissolved in acetone, with clear airplane dope added, and achieved very desireable results. I suppose one could also use a CA but the fumes might be a little difficult to contain, not to mention adhereing oneself to the pressure tank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster