I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mixing cork ring thickness
Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: December 27, 2001 02:23AM

hey everyone hope you all had a great holiday and I wish everyone a great 2002 when it gets here.

My question is I have some very nice cork both in 1/4" and 1/2" thickness.

I am redoing a bamboo rod and will be starting a graphite
rod soon both for myself.

What rings should I use for what rod or has anybody mixed rings to get a different look?

I have enough 1/2" for two grips and enough 1/4" for one 6.5" grip.

Happy wrapping "John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mixing cork ring thickness
Posted by: Lincoln Parmer (---.atw.pa.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: December 27, 2001 08:23AM

Dear John: Typically when doing restoration work, you try to restore the rod to original. However, some old cane rods had cork sheet grips. Some used 1/8 inch rings and many used "mustard cork" Not to confuse things but go for the best quality cork in the available thickness. Keep those 1/2 inch rings for the graphite. Use those 1/4 inch rings for the cane. If thats what was on before. By the by, mustard cork is cork that has been cut at another angle, and the pits are exposed more. They can be filled with a cork filler set found in most reputable supply houses.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster