I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat placement
Posted by: Kevin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 26, 2001 11:09PM

Thanks in advance for any help! I'm new at rod building so please excuse me if this question is a little silly. What is the general rule of thumb on reel placement. My main concern at this time is on a rod being used for bait fishing in the surf and one for throwing plugs in the surf. I've seen different places asking for shirt sleeve length and shoe size. This really got me confused! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat placement
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 27, 2001 09:33AM

You want the reel far enough up the rod that you can have enough leverage to cast it, but close enough so that it is comfortable to fish with.

Here's what I would recommend to you - take your current favorite rod and measure the seat distance from the butt. Now ask yourself what you like about, or don't like about it. Would you like it better if it was a tad longer? Shorter? That will tell you what you need to know about placing the seat on your rod.

Do try to compare apples to apples though. The placement on your favorite 7' spinning rod should not be the pattern for where you would put in on a 12' foot surf casting rod.

Posted by: Bob Marie (---.214.72.100.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: December 27, 2001 12:47PM

Bear in mind, I 'build' strictly for myself and friends.

And since 'day one' I've used the same idea, as follows.

So, for power-casting, I measure the distance across the shoulder-joints of the user (usually me) and that, same, distance is used as the distance from the knob-to-reel centerline.

I feel it gave the best speed and force for the backcast loading and forward release.
For example, if the shoulder distance is 17 1/2 inches then the distance from the knob to the center of the reel seat will be 17 1/2 inches (or slightly more).

Bob M

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 27, 2001 06:36PM

Kevin, I have built several surf rods for a friend of mine and he takes the butt end of the blank and puts it up against his sternum, he then reaches with his casting arm up the blank, grabs his blank and the reel seat will be placed two fingers back on his grip. The arm is not extended fully but slightly crooked. Mind you, these are casting rods. My friend says this makes for a comfortable casting length on his back swing. He uses the pendalum casting method and gets good distance on his casts. Ellis

Previous thread
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.39.mhub.grid.net)
Date: December 27, 2001 07:00PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Kevin, this was a good thread on what you were inquiring about.

My previous post
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.39.mhub.grid.net)
Date: December 27, 2001 07:04PM

Most people have a favorite rod that is a perfect fit for them or, they have a favorite rod that they wish were a little longer or a little shorter. This makes the fitting much easier.

If they are starting from scratch, it helps to have some pre-built rods in the shop to let them fondle to get an idea of what they want.

Measuring for a surf rod is easy. Take the customer out in the yard with the blank you plan on using and some masking tape. If it is a 2 piece, tape the female ferrule to keep it from splitting. Hand the blank to the customer and tell him to cast 5 or 6 times like he normally would during fishing. 99% of the time he is going to place his hands in exactly the right position. Stop him without letting him move his hands and place some tape at the front of the rear fist and on either side of the front fist. There you have his natural reach and can tweak the reach from there based on his style of fishing.

Now tell him to hold the rod in the position that he would be holding it if he was fishing. If he is a cast and hold, he may want the reach a little shorter to avoid straining. If he is a cast and put in a spike, he may can stand it a little longer, etc.

Adding a little...........
A good place to start if they haven't done any surf fishing is to fit the butt to the distance between the arm pit and the hand when arm is extended. Place a piece of tape where his thumb lays on the blank and while he is practicing the cast, watch to see if he straining. If he is, adjust it back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster