I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank painting-bonding question
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 26, 2001 01:11PM

I have two blanks that I'm going to build as long spinning rods. I'm going to 'split' the butt grip, leaving a portion of the blank exposed. I want to do some decoration work here, as well as just above the foregrip (where traditional 'butt' wraps go?).

I want to change the blank color in these areas. I'm pretty hany with an airbrush, and I have some ideas for something that would look really special.

What I'm wrestling with is this. I want to pre-paint the entire lower end of the rod blank, from the butt to where the wrap above the foregrip will end with a suitable 'undercoat' before I assemble the grips and do the final airbrushing.

If I just use some type of spray paint for this, will I interfere with the bonding of the reel seat and grips to the blank (I'll still follow the recommended 'clean, abrade with scotchbrite,bond' procedure)?

Is there a certain type of paint that will work for this better than another?

Are there any types of paints to avoid?

I'll do the airbrushing with lacquers. I've read here that they can react adversely with some rod blank finishes, thus the reason for the 'undercoat'. The final 'wraps' will go over the airbrushed portion, then the final epoxy finish coats.

I've already done a 'search' here, but the bonding issue wasn't addressed.

I'll appreciate any information you could provide.

Thanks,

Buddy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank painting-bonding question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 26, 2001 02:53PM

There is always a weak link in the chain. The strongest bond for you components is directly to the blank with no paint or finish between them. But we should not assume that the paint or finish on our blanks, or that you might add, will not adhere sufficiently to stay put. If were glueing a small patch or spot to the paint/finish, I'd worry that the paint could lift. But typical grip and seat installations are bonded around the entire circumfrence. The bond between paint and blank is usually good enough that it does not fail us.

Still, there is no reason why you could not remove the paint/finish in the area where your grips and seat will sit. Or mask them off before you paint.

With the laquer, since you are not putting it on top of your other work, there should not be any reaction. I assume you are using this as an underlayment of a color that helps your threads stay bright. It should work okay. If it was me, I'd opt for an enamel or urethane over a lacquer but for your purposes it should be okay.

Re: Blank painting-bonding question
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 27, 2001 12:53AM

Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I'm using the lacquers is that they are a 'clear pigmented' product. They are intended for coloring glass, and you can get some amazing effects with them. I've not found any other coloring agent that works like they do. I've used them for years, both for their intended purpose and for coloring fishing lures.

A far as masking off the portion under the grips/seat, I think that in the end that's what I'll end up doing. I was just worried about how accurate I would be in my set up for this, but now that I think about it, a bit of paint under the grip won't be a major problem...

Thanks again for all your help.

Buddy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster