I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide spacing
Posted by: Sean Tate (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: December 25, 2001 11:25PM

Without going into a static stress dist. test or building a spine finder, is there an easier way (chart?) to come up with adequate guide placement on a 6'6" 2 piece 2 weight, medium-fast action?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide spacing
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 26, 2001 01:11AM

Who made the rod?
Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 26, 2001 09:55AM

Don Morton's Equal Angle system which we covered in the current RodMaker would allow you to get near optimum placement in about 3 or 4 minutes. Failing that, I think I see where Bob is headed - go find the factory equivilent and copy that spacing. It may not be optimum, but it will be adequate.

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 26, 2001 10:17AM

Why not at least stress test. Takes a few minutes to tape or rubberband guides on. Then a few minutes to readjust. You can do it all under 30 minutes for sure. Easy and useful

Posted by: Sean Tate (216.161.55.---)
Date: December 26, 2001 12:14PM

OK - good points all.

Re: guide spacingDon Morton's Equal Angle system
Posted by: Ron Styles (---.as1.bil.oneeighty.com)
Date: December 27, 2001 01:03AM

With Don Morton's Equal Angle system how is th 4-5 inch first guide pacement accounted for? I drew up an angle pattern on paper and placed a rod tip at approximatly the same location as those pictured in the article (1/2 " at 120 degree mark) and found the first guide to be too far back (more than 5 " in some cases). If I had more guides of course, then the first guide would turn out within the 4--5 inch space. My angles were correct. Any suggestions?

Re: guide spacingDon Morton's Equal Angle system
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 27, 2001 09:20AM

Use a different set of angles for your spacing lines. You will want the first guide within 5 inches on most rods outside of really heavy duty surf/boat types.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster