I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ends of Butt Wraps
Posted by: BigAl (---.tnt6.athens.ga.da.uu.net)
Date: December 25, 2001 10:14PM

First thing is I would like to wish everyone on the board a Happy Holiday and a Happy New Year. I also want to thank all the guys that know what they are doing and able to answer all the question we give you.
I have gotten to the point where I am able to do a fair butt wrap but am having problem with both end of wraps. After doing the wrap I put CP on and let dry. I then go back and pull off all the tape on both end and cut off tag as close as I can. Here where I am having problems.
When trying to do a wrap over the end it does not cover up everthing. I have started putting a 1/8 band of tape at the end and then wraping over the tape. This cover up the end to a fair amount. What am I missing or what is the best way to do the ends.
BigAl (Al Bassett)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ends of Butt Wraps
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: December 26, 2001 12:05AM

Al - I have posted a rather lengthy thread on how I tie off my butt wraps - I will look for it tomorrow night and post it here. If you apply the CP prior to tying off, it is harder to get a smooth tie off because all the threads get stiff from the CP. I tie off right after completing teh wrap, starting at teh last pattern, and moving away - after about 1/2 inch, I take a piece of masking tape over the wrapped portion, and then CAREFULLY slice off the excess threads with a razor. THis cut is tapered so the thread gradually drops down to the blank with no gaps. When done with the tie off, CP, then epoxy, then another layer of thread.

When I find the longer version of this, I'll post it. BIlly

Posted by: David Henney (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: December 26, 2001 12:15AM

I use cp up to where I am going to start my end wrap, I cut off one thread at a time about a 1/4 turn I stop and cut a thread or two.. This takes a while but the transation from thread to blank is a gradual slope, instead of all the sudden.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 26, 2001 02:41AM

I put cP on my pattern only then after it has set I cut off the pattern strans at a bevel one at a time. with a razor .I leave about 1/2 inch of loose strans then I wet these strans with water and flaten down to the rod then after they are in position let this dry before I start to wrap over them.
The other 2 threads be for mine are excellant thoughts. Time and patients works great. Some times I start on the pattern and work down as I get near the end I take indivedual threads and cut them off as I wrap down

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 26, 2001 09:23AM

Al,

In my book, I mentioned doing a double overwrap for the tie-offs. Wrap as usaul to tie-off and then as you approach the grip, or upper most end on the upper tie-off, push the thread back on itself and wrap back down to where you started. This double overwrap will hide and eliminate unsightly gaps and bulges. Once finished, only a very, very close look will reveal that it is a double overwrap.

Dave's tip on cutting the threads just a few at a time should also be employed. It keeps you from having an abrubt edge to wrap over.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster