I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best single foot guides?
Posted by: Preston (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: December 25, 2001 01:19PM

Hi,

My Dad is about to build me a 9 foot 4 weight Sage 2-piece XP.

I'm leaning towards single foot guides. We're debating which single foot guides to use. He's concerned about the wear on simple chrome guides. Should we use TiC or TiN coated single foots? Given that it's only a 4 weight I would think SIC inserted single foots are overkill...? Who makes the best single foot guides? The only makers I can find are Pacific Bay.

Also, has anyone had experience with the new Recoil NiTi framed guides? That might be another option.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Preston
Waterloo, Canada.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best single foot guides?
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: December 25, 2001 07:41PM

Forecast also makes the TiC and Tin single foot guides. You can get more info from Rich at Richards Rod and Reel. the link is to the left and he is Canadian.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem2.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: December 25, 2001 09:13PM

You cannot go wrong with the Fuji SIC. Overkill? Maybe, but they sure are nice. Consider the Alconite version. Cost much less than the SIC but give similar performance.

Posted by: Sang An (---.ff.cox.rr.com)
Date: December 26, 2001 01:28AM

Fuji TLSGs are the ultimate. Titanium frame, low profile, SiC ring.

Posted by: Gadwall (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: December 27, 2001 06:32AM

I've used REC "Recoil" single foot snakes. IMHO they are the best.
[www.rec.com]

good luck

gad

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 27, 2001 10:39PM

For a four wt. I would opt for the fuji Alconites. They are almost as hard as SIC and cost about half as much. They also appear to be lighter than the SIC's. The ring surface is smaller in thickness. So far I can't find any reason not to use them. They have become a staple in my business for anything other than High end gear.

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster