I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Blank for boat
Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: December 25, 2001 08:48AM

Any suggestions for a rod blank used on 20' boat. Fishing for 20-40 pound stiped bass. I would like a length of about 6'to 7'. I like some flexibility rather than a heavy stiffness. We tend to go to thinner rods here in Cape Cod, and need to be able to move around. I would also use this rod for Cod found in deep water. I am used to spinning rods, but would like to try to make a bait casting setup. I think I have given most of the requirements I need and any help would be appreciated. One more point! The boats have been using the St.Croix 7'6" spinning rods, and even though they are light seem to do the job. I think they feel somewhat light, yet give the fish a good fight. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Blank for boat
Posted by: Joe R. (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 25, 2001 12:14PM

Here are two possible choices that I have used. For a graphite, I have used the Lamiglas GLB 901M and trimmed the tip to a #9 and then made the overall length 7'. In have used this rod for drifting eels, bottom fishing for seabass and blackfish on inshore reefs with up to 6 oz. sinkers. For a glass rod, I have used the Lamiglas BBT 963M and have built many different rods by altering the tip size. It is a very versitile blank, I have built everything from bottom fishing rods for blackfish, striped bass and cod to trolling rods for bunker spoons and parachute jigs. I'm sure get a lot of other input but this will give you a place to start.
Good luck,
Joe R.

Posted by: Ed Sinn (mrsinbad) (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 25, 2001 12:43PM

I just bought the G Loomis BB965 GL2 one piece rod blank for fishing on boats (private and party). This is their 8' back bouncing rod that will take 2-8 oz from 17-40 lbs of line. It has a nice midnight blue finish to it. I will be building this rod with the spiral/acid wrap coupled with my Shimano TR200G and 35lb Western Filament Tuf Line. I may just cut a little off the tip to get the ratings higher so I can overcome the fish faster, just in case I'm on a party boat. It sounds great and I am anticipating great things for this rod. If you get his one too, ENJOY!

Happy Holidays to all!!! :-)

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: December 25, 2001 01:07PM

Thanks to you and Joe for the information. It is a big help and
I had forgotten about the possibility of a spiral wrap. That
sounds like its worth a try. If there is a particular guide that is better than another, let me know. I have been using the Fuji
high raise guides on my spinning rods, but I suspect that is not
what I should be using for this rod. Happy Holidays!
Sanford

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 25, 2001 01:26PM

Go to Lamiglas.com
Bob

Posted by: Joe R. (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 25, 2001 09:20PM

As for guides - take a look at Fuji BHNLG (hardloy) or HNSG (sic) with matching tips - BULT or UST. The frames and rings are a bit heavier and they sit a little higher than the standard BNLG guide. I use them quite often and really like them. If nothing else they're worth a look.
Joe

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 25, 2001 10:47PM

Hi Sanford.

Happy Holidays to all.

Seeker CSW658 with 8 guides can handle 8 to 10 oz. With 7 guides maxs out at about 8 oz sinkers. Great tip action and strong mid and butt section. I use it on the reefs, up to 90' water and also for blackfish up to 7 lbs.

Calstar GF 700XL pretty much the same as the Seeker, a little stiffer tip. Great blank. Very sensitive. For heavier lead I would go with GF 700L.

Lamiglas CGBT 841M is extremely sensitive and it is a strong blank. Have used it in deep water for blacks, codfish in 200+ ' water.
Will handle big blues and bass easily.
For lighter loads try the CGBT 841ML.

All these blanks are composites, take abuse and are designed for synthetic line. All the above blanks are excellent and fun to fish with.

Capt Neil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster