I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ring size and height on spinning stripper
Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (209.83.89.---)
Date: December 23, 2001 12:26PM

I read Dom Morton's article on guide placement in the latest RodMaker with great interest. One of the things he mentioned was choosing a stripper with 1/2 the diameter of the spool on the reel. Some time ago I exchanged e-mails with Ralph O'Quinn concerning perma gloss and guide set ups on Ultra Light spinning rods. Ralph said that his testing indicated that the optimum stripper was the old fuji match guide with a size 10 ring which is a small ring. I would seem to me that too large a ring would allow the line to flop around an slap the blank and that line type and ring material would also play a role here. How do some of you that build alot of spinning rods feel about this issue?

Thanks Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ring size and height on spinning stripper
Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: December 23, 2001 02:38PM

going by what this article says, the setup I am working with right now would about a size 25 for the reel I am using, but, if you go by where he says to run the guide up the line to where the line just touches the outside of the ring, it puts the guide really far up the rod. So I went up to a 30 high frame, which puts me more in range, and the static deflection comes out good. I think that maybe a 10 would work with a VERY small reel. but on many rods, the guide size may be part of the never ending compromise in rod building. In order to get the rod to flex right and everything to work well, you sometimes have to stray from "THE LAW". to use a size 10 for a spinning stripper will be very rare,I think, I haven't been able to get anything smaller than a 12 to work even on a 24" ice rod with a very small reel, and here, casting isn't even a concern. well, I probably just really confused you huh?
jeff

Re: Ring size and height on spinning stripper
Posted by: matt lewis (---.cbtri.com)
Date: December 26, 2001 10:29AM

the half spool diameter rule works good for me. when you cast a spinning rod the line will come off in large loops anyway. it has to since it's coming off the spool the way it does. the larger guide helps "knock the loop down", and get the line running in a straght line quicker. from what i've found so far, if you use a guide that's too small, the loop sort of "overruns" the choke guide, instead of getting "knocked down". i'm no expert, but this has been my experience, so far.

i use daiwa tds-2500ia's, and a 25 or 30 works very well. if i plan on using mono, i go with the 30, braid i use the 25. (the braid is stiffer, and doesn't come off in as large a loop as mono)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster