I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Repair - Debonded Ferrule
Posted by: Douglas Hrynkiw (---.209-115-213-0.interbaun.com)
Date: December 22, 2001 08:47PM

Hi Folks:

This problem became apparent on a fishing trip in late August, and appeared as a crack in the epoxy finish at the rod (hexagonal graphite fly) / male ferrule (Nic Silver) junction. Now that I have had time to remove the wrap and assess the dammage I have found the ferrule has de-bonded.
I have slightly sanded the epoxy build up and micro blasted the interior of the ferrule (increase mechanical retention?) to provide for a very thin epoxy bond which I anticipate will be stonger.
Is this an acceptable repair? Or is it better to remove the old epoxy to bare rod?
Wishing everyone Safe and Happy Holidays from Canada

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Repair - Debonded Ferrule
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2001 09:17PM

I would guess that if the old epoxy is really, really on there well, that you could just leave it and be fine. I assume the new epoxy would bond to the old. But I'm not an expert here. Anyone?

There was an article in one of the most recent issues of Rodmaker that talked about surface prep. That micro blasting appears to be nothing more than some fun on your end and will not create a better bond. A lightly scuffed and cleaned surface appears to be as good as you can get.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: December 23, 2001 02:20AM

Your problem is very simple. Nickel Silver is not a bondable entity. I know, there are literally thousands of nickel silver ferrules all over the world bonded onto bamboo and graphite rods. Many of them are pinned which helps, most of them are loose. Those that tend to stay in place for a few years do so because they are a very tight fit. The bond between the epoxy and the ferrule was never really very strong, maybe 10 - or even 20 psi which is really all a ferrule needs.
By all means leave the old epoxy on the rod as this gives the re-bond to the ferrule its best fit. Now find yourself a good wetting epoxy (such as rod bond) and coat the surface of the old epoxy, and the inside of your micro-blasted ferrule. Join the two with a twisting motion. Continue to twist the ferrule after it is completely in place, remove it and repeat the process. Wipe up the mess created and set aside to cure. Do not use a high shear rigid brittle epoxy for this job, or you will be finding yourself repeating it again in about a year or so. Use a tough, flexible, high wetting system --such as rodbond. Nothing wrong with pinning the whole thing when the epoxy cures. We used to pin all bamboo rods , and the pin held the ferrule in place for many years after the glue had let go. The secret to keeping a nickel silver ferrule in place is to make sure you have a good tight fit. A fit so tight that you have to force it in place, even drive it on
Ralph

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 23, 2001 04:35AM

Ralph O"Quin has answered all the needed points. Ralph is the garue ond finishes and bonding agents
Have a happy Holiday Bob

Posted by: Eddie (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 23, 2001 02:13PM

If nichel silver isn't bondable with epoxy what should be used bond a silver butt cap?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster