I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loomis IMX 1562 13' Blank Poor Quality!!!
Posted by: David A Tomasch (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2001 06:59PM

Greetings to all, I recently purchased a Loomis 13' IMX Blank that was supposed to have been shipped out of Loomis of Canada. Well I have a few concerns about the blank and was wondering if others have experienced similar problems? For starters the sticker that came with the blank says made in America? To my understanding these blanks are discontinued in the States and cannot be bought here anymore. Also the upper and lower half are both warped to the point that they are very noticeable. Has anyone else out there experienced this problem with Loomis Blanks? I Bought a GL3 same size from Clemens tackle and the lower half had the same problem but not quite as severe as this. I bought the blank half price so I built it and fish it anyway. Last but not least the upper half looks as if the graphite was wrapped very poorly at the ferrul. Needless to say I am very dissapointed with the Loomis quality so far! I almost feel that the blank I was sent was a blemish blank. For a 280 dollar blank I would expect a little better. Can anyone out there give me some advice???? Thanks in advance David A Tomasch

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loomis IMX 1562 13' Blank Poor Quality!!!
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2001 07:21PM

If you paid for a first quality blank and suspect this isn't of that caliber then I would certainly send it back and expect a replacement.

Posted by: David A Tomasch (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 23, 2001 08:47AM

William, The company that sold it to me said that I should take this up with the factory warranty. The only problem is that this will cost me extra shipping and I will have to fill out papers for a border crossing, extra money and aggravation for a defective product that I was sent which will now cost me. The company that sold me the blank(not one listed on this site) is located in Pennsylvania and the blank is supposed to be made In Canada I can not figure out why my blank would say made in America on the sticker??? The blanks in the web site of this Pennsylvania company show the rods and blanks and all have stickers that say made in Canada??? This is why I come to the conclusion that this rod blank has been laying around somewhere or is in fact a BLEM. The only other thing is GLoomis makes an inferior product! Either way I have only purchased two rod blanks from them and so far I am not satisfied at all with the quality. In fact I think the quality stinks!!! I do not understand this company's logo where performance and technology meet. This company has built a solid reputation I thought. I guess I thought wrong! Any way enough venting Thank you for your response I was hoping for more or perhaps others that have experienced the same problem because if they have I will just send the blank back and try a Rainshadow or some other company where quality matters!! David A Tomasch

Posted by: Lincoln Parmer (---.atw.pa.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: December 23, 2001 10:12AM

Dear Dave: Canada is in America. North America. Don't get me going about Loomis straightness. The best MARKETING program is NOT always the better BLANK product. Enuf said.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 23, 2001 10:31AM

Dave,

Loomis does not make an inferior product. Do they occasionally make something that is less than perfect and have it slip out the door? Certainly. But so does nearly every other rod blank manufacturer too. I have gotten bad blanks from every single supplier/manufacturer you can name.

I can sympathize with you on returning a blank. When I was very much engaged in the business of selling rods to the public, I would often have to return as much as 10% of each shipment to the manufacturer due to blanks that were crushed, delaminated at the ferrule edge (very common) or extremely crooked. I never felt it was fair that I had to pay the return shipping and spend my time having these things replaced. None of it was my fault, just as this is not your fault. But that's just the way it is. We grin and bear it.

Did your blank come with a Loomis decal? If so, then it should be a first quality product. If you return it I am certain that you will get a good replacement. The folks at Loomis might also be able to shed some light on what you have there and what might have gone wrong. I'd give them a chance to make it right.

And yes, Canada is in America. I know many Canadians who do not like the fact that those of us in the U.S. generally use the term America for the USA.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2001 10:45AM

One other fact is most retailers and wholesalers are not authorized to make returns on blanks and components,Whatever company you got it from is just following manufactures instructions,sorry you had the problem and unfortunatley it is all to common a problem
John

Posted by: craig (---.socal.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2001 02:16PM

Loomis Canada has nothing to do with G. Loomis in Woodland, Wa. G.L. allows canada to use their namae. Canada makes all blanks themselves for their own use.

Posted by: Jeff Stickle (---.lnh.md.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: December 23, 2001 03:43PM

I am sure the Canadians reading this board will be surprised to find out they are Americans. Some may even be somewhat miffed. As for "Made in America" including Canada come on guys, Canada is not America. Sure it is in North America but I think you will find Canadians are actually Canadians. If we are to accept this ridiculous logic then if a blank was made in Brazil it could be labeled "Made in America" as Brazil is in South America.

Logic aside, I'll bet both countries the United States of America and Canada have laws on what "Made in ..." can be put on a label.

Here is another hint: "United States of America" has America int while "Canada" does not.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 23, 2001 04:03PM

I'm not sure what this has to do with rod building, but the last time I looked, America was not a Country. It's a continent - two continents actually, North and South. And if you ask most Canadian's if they are Americans, I believe they will respond in the affirmative. So will those in Mexico. Rightly so. But generally speaking, those of us in the States have come to use the term "American" for those living in the 50 States. (I would think that is a bit obnoxious to some of our neighbors. How about it Rich? Ian? )

But David's problem is with a poor quality blank, something all of us have had to deal with from time to time. I am hoping he will follow up with the factory and see what kind of explantion they will give him. I'm sure we'd all like to know.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 23, 2001 06:06PM

Tom, The only thing this has to do with rodbuilding is what is the product origin. If it is made in Canada it will say "Made in Canada" for a product originating here, although I do not know all the nuances of license agreements but when importing we need to know countries of orgin for customs and duties purposes. I honestly can't say with 100% certainty how a product labelled "made in America" is interpreted by various governmental agencies such as Canada Customs and Revenue, especially if the item originates in Canada.
Usually items made in the United States are marked "Made in U.S.A."
As for origins and where people live, I wouldn't call a Brazillian an American per se, as probably most Canadians wouldn't be called Americans. I also would venture to say that a Mexican would not go by a generic American title, but perhaps if of Mexican origin might go by Mexican American. Want to get really complicated? What if an American moves to Canada? What do you call this person? Live there long enough, and they are Canadian by naturalization and the similar situation if the move is from Canada to U.S. I digress, but The difference lies probably in political boundaries by country, but not perhaps necessarily by business licence agreements for products made by certain agreements. Also, I did not know really that Loomis blanks were made in Canada. If someone knows where (city/province), perhaps they could enlghten us. Most 'domestic' blanks that I am aware of are made in the U.S.A. and most imports are made overseas, usually in an Asian country.

confused??

from a North American Canadian of Polish-American origin.
You mentioned something about Logic, Tom?? (ever heard of reverse Polish Logic??...another story better to leave origins with in Europe. Or is that Eurasia??). Consider also now with European Economic Union, I am wondering how products will be labelled now as to their origins? for example, "made in France", or "made in Europe"? Do things ever get simple? NO.

Rich G.
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 23, 2001 07:32PM

Anybody here in the States who receives a passport cannot get by with "American". It will say United States. When you have fill in forms or use such things even here on the internet I have never seen American listed. Always US or USA. Canadians and Mexicans are certainly Americans. America is not a Country. Maybe I am repeating someone else where. America is a continent. The term American has been lifted by US citizens and made their own. But anybody else on the continent could use it and be correct too I would think.

I did not know that Loomis manufactured blanks in Canada. Or does someone else do it and license the Loomis name? To me that would be the interesting part. I am not aware of a Loomis manufacturing facility in Canada. Do they have one?

Posted by: Jim Kind (---.ed.shawcable.net)
Date: December 23, 2001 09:16PM

I live in western Canada and had to send my GL3 (labelled Made in Canada) rod in for warranty and had to send it to G.Loomis Canada Inc., Mt. Hope, Ontario, Canada.

As for the being American, anyone I know would not consider themselves as Americans but Canadians even though we live in North America.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

I fish therefor I am

Posted by: Jeff Stickle (---.wcomnet.com)
Date: December 24, 2001 10:02AM

I agree with Dick. If you think the quality is poor write to the company and tell them. Please be polite! Even if you are steaming mad or mad/profoundly disappointed it is proper social behavior to state your problem in civil terms.

It is also a good idea to call your supplier before returning a defective product to see who should handle the problem - your supplier or you and the factory.

I too would be interested in hearing how David's problem gets resolved.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster