I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tom K's marble cutting project
Posted by: Scott Brockwell (---.s70.tnt1.chts.va.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: December 21, 2001 09:44PM

Tom:

I saw your recent photo on the Moment of Fame photo site. The marble work looks fantastic -- very unique.

A few questions:

Is it true marble or synthetic; and what are some details of cutting the stuff, if it is actually stone (cutting speeds, tooling, etc).

Of course, this questions assumes these aren't trade secrets! If they are, I understand.

Merry Christmas

Scott Brockwell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tom K's marble cutting project
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 21, 2001 10:10PM

I have not seen it. But on one of these rod boards Tom said he was turning some real marble with water for a lubricant. I think he said he didn't like the weight and was looking for a substitute synthetic that really looked like marble. I'd be interested to know if he found any.

Re: Tom K's marble cutting project
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: December 22, 2001 01:35AM

Now you can see it at: [www.momentoffame.com]

marble inserts/really something to see
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 22, 2001 11:40AM

That picture should be a RodMaker cover for sure. I would urge anyone to view the page Billy mentions. Simply expert!

Rich

Re: marble inserts/really something to see
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 22, 2001 01:05PM

I don't have any trade secrets. Two of the seat inserts in the photo are real marble. They were cut with a carbide bit and water for the lubricant. Then sanded down thru 800 grit wet silicon carbide paper. Took a few days to get them sanded and polished to a high luster, although I think they looked better without the high degree of polish - just left smooth but sort of matte looking.

And yes they are heavy, thus the split inserts. I have been looking for something in a synthetic material, a phenolic or plastic, that would closely mimic real marble. Most of what I have tried is very disappointing. They look fine for what they are, but they also look like plastic.

One of the inserts in the photo is cut from something called Tru-Stone. It is not plastic but rather a combination of stone particles compressed into a block. To tell the truth, it is very close to the look and unfortunately, the weight, of real marble. Oh well. I will just have to keep experiementing with new materials.

Re: marble inserts/really something to see
Posted by: Will Parham (---.ilm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 23, 2001 12:26AM

I second Rich's opinion. This is definite cover material! WOW Tom, very cool!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster