I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quick lighting question
Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: December 21, 2001 02:25PM

I know there is a back issue of RM that has lighting in it, but have a quick question. I have a 4ft strip light in which I purchased daylight bulbs (supposed to be as close to sunlight as you can get). As for mounting pursposes, I have a work bench in which I can mount the fixture at any location. So, what is the best location in perspective to my rod lathe? Directly above on the ceiling? Or high on the wall in front of me (high enough where I am not being blinded). Centered on the lathe or preferencing one end? I would like to mount it today, so any input would be great. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quick lighting question
Posted by: matt lewis (---.cbtri.com)
Date: December 21, 2001 03:30PM

i prefer overhead lighting. no scientific reason, but that's what i prefer.

Re: Quick lighting question
Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 21, 2001 03:47PM

Elrod

It's all personal preference. I mount mine above and as low as I can, without them being in my way. (or catch my hair on fire!) If the light source is at all behind me I get shadows, too far in front of me and I can see the tube. That hurts my eyes in a short time. I also use 2 of those drafting type lights on movable arms, for when I need to get down close. Hope that helps.

Bill Doherty

Getting High
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 21, 2001 05:25PM

I also prefer overhead ceiling lights, but also we set up the shop with a set hanging about 2 1'2' down nearer to the full length of the work benches. Also have a magfified light attatched to a reel bench for finer work, with the light source (round fluorescent) with the magnifier and all has movable arms for exact placement. Seems one collects a 'series' of lights for either close-up or just general use work. I also was 'trained' with a career in laboratory bench work, and lighting was always a factor for performing accurate work.

Another point about ceiling height if you have any choice about it.
Higher is better obviously. The shop I am now in was built to consider this aspect for waving rods around with enough clearance, and we went with 11 ft. ceilings. The building was 'custom built', of course to accomadate raised rod racks that easily hold up to 7 1/2' rods without touching the ceileing. The longer rods are held at a floor level rack. Also consider a type of lighting to highlight the rods on the display rack if possible, something like track or spot lighting.

I digress from the lighting needs at the lathe, but some of those table lights and attatched lights to things always seem to get in the way and prefer them hanging clear out of the way. I also would have it cenetered above the lathe or other mechanical tools or wrappers.
I haven't yet used, but I like the idea of that lazer alignment tool as another 'light aid'.

Rich

Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: Getting High
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 23, 2001 04:45AM

I hang mine directly over my lathe. I also use it to help center my my thread crossings, you well see alight reflection on the rod so I use this reflection to find my center points
Have a HAPPY HOLIDAY
Bob

Re: Getting High
Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: December 30, 2001 09:39PM

For serious work, I have always preferred TWO lights, one slightly to the right, the other slightly to the left, neither directly overhead. This gives good even lighting, without as much glare.

But I've never used the glare as a tool, either, so this may not be the best advice for you.

TH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster