I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Square wood & insert sizes
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: December 21, 2001 12:03AM

What size square stock wood will turn down to what size insert? I'm begining to look around, and before I order wood I'd like to know what size I should get before I end up with wood for pens or wood to make a baseball bat (which I eventually will). What is the minumun length I should get. 5 inches?

5/8" x 5/8" = ?? what size insert
3/4 x 3/4" = ??
1 x 1" = ??

OR...

What OD do I have to turn the wood down to for a size 16, 17, 18 and 20 reel seat?

Thanks, Billy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Square wood & insert sizes
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 21, 2001 09:50AM

Billy,

A 5/8 inch width piece of turning stock will yield a 5/8 inch diameter insert. But just barely. Remember that the width when going from square to round needn't change as you can remove the corners and go to round without removing any width. Or at least very little.

But, I generally figure that I need about 1/16 inch more width in my stock that I will get in the round. One reason for this is that most turning squares are not perfectly sized and even if they were you need a tad more to allow for sanding, etc.

Take a set of calipers and measure the outside of the barrel to figure what size you need to turn your wood to. For instance, on the size 16 seat, you'll find you need an insert about 18.5mm. I like to take my inserts just a hair under the full barrel size to keep the reel foot from imprinting the wood. The foot will sit in the forward hood and on the threaded barrel to the rear and does not need to actually sit on the insert.

You will do better to deal with a wood supplier who is not a specialty pen supplier. The wood is better and you end up paying less for what you get. Get boards in 1" thickness and rip them yourself. Or at least buy 1" squares in longer lengths and cut them to whatever length you desire.

Re: Square wood & insert sizes
Posted by: Don Greife (63.124.164.---)
Date: December 21, 2001 11:07PM

Billy, I have found that almost any piece of native black walnut that is found at a farm sale, or the like, will be nearly a full 1" thick,,and this a dimension that I like. Reason being that I make my own skeleton seats from 16mm alum seats that I get from Jann's Netcraft. I simply use a hack saw to remove the middle of the tube, then file the parts smooth. A favorite wood is native walnut that has been sawed "across" the grain 1"x1"x5". This is then turned in my lathe to just round then "sanded" to dimension (3/4"). This is necessary because the cross grain cut on the walnut chips out badly on the cross grain sides. Most of the sanding is done with 60 grit and then 200, 400, 600 grit. The results are worth the effort IMHO. The 3/4" OD matches the OD of the skeleton very well. I don't like to start an insert from any wood that is less than 1/16" oversize from the finish dimension. Try some,, you will like it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster