I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

test cast
Posted by: matt lewis (---.cbtri.com)
Date: December 20, 2001 09:48AM

i hear you guys talking about test casting a lot. are you just taping the guides on with masking tape or what? can you test cast after you wrap, before you finish the guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: test cast
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 20, 2001 10:03AM

You can test cast at any time, but due to the fact that you will want to try different guide positions, wrapping them can make this a long and tedious procedure.

I use tape, some use rubber banks, others use twist-ties. The idea is to be able to try out several different configurations in order to determine which guide size/s and location will give you the best results.

Date: December 20, 2001 10:42AM

yeah, i meant test casting before you wrap with tape, then a "just to make sure" cast after i wrap. thanks!

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: December 20, 2001 11:10AM

I use surgical tubing. They make it in tons of sizes. Cut into little rubber bands. Roll them onto the blank (before you glue the tiptop in place, don't ask me how many times I have forgotten to do that). Works great, very fast a repositioning. Plus, if you have a friend that works at a hospital, they can snag some. It comes into hospitals by the rolls of 100+ feet. A 3ft. section will work on many, many rods. Plus, once you begin wrapping, the bands hold in place until you secure the foot with thread, then just cut with razor (be sure to do it on the guide foot, so you don't cut the blank) and they fly off.

Date: December 20, 2001 04:40PM

i don't have any surgical tubing, but i bet skirt collars would work good also. i'll try tonight. i'll also try to have someone rogue me some surgical tubing :-)
thanks guys...

Be careful!
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.9.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: December 20, 2001 06:08PM

Be careful not to scratch the blank if you are not 99% sure that you have the guides in the right place.

If you aren't sure, put a layer of masking tape under the feet.

Re: Be careful!
Posted by: Jeff Stickle (---.wcomnet.com)
Date: December 21, 2001 02:00PM

Clemens Tackle sells the tubing in a few sizes. It is also good for attaching Lunker Lights to the tip of a rod for night fishing.

spinnerbait collars
Date: December 21, 2001 03:38PM

just a quick addition. i tried spinnerbait skirt collars last night with great success. they will definately work in a pinch. they are a little too thick, which makes them a little harder to cut off, and they are probably a good bit more expensive to use, but they work just fine.

i placed my guides by placing the 2 tip guides, then running my line through them (making sure to center the line guide on my reel), then put tape with a line at the correct angle on the blank for each guide.

then i placed the collars and the guides on in the right places. went outside to test cast, and everything worked great. no line pile, casted effortlessly with no line slap. flexed the blank, and the line didn't touch anything but the guides.

snuck home today at lunch for a couple of hours and wrapped it up. went outside to test cast again, and everything was still perfect. it's drying right now, and i can't wait to use it.

thanks again,

matt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster