I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help on my first spiral wrap
Posted by: matt lewis (---.cbtri.com)
Date: December 20, 2001 09:46AM

i searched back through the posts on here and got some good info. i thought the idea of wrapping the first 2 tip guides, then putting the intended reel on, running line through the guides to get your "best" line path sounded like a good idea, so that's where i started. my question is, the line didn't revolve around the blank until about the midway point ( loomis cbr845). all the spiral wraps i've seen start the twist much farther toward the butt, usually the second guide goes about 1/4th of the way, then the 3rd goes the another 1/4th of the way, and so on until the guides are 180*. it seems like commen sense to me to let the line tell you where to do the "twist", but thought i'd ask here first. is it ok to wait until farther up the blank to let the line turn?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help on my first spiral wrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 20, 2001 10:07AM

Yes, that's okay. Ralph O'Quinn's method will normally have the line pass by the blank at some point farther up the rod than the older systems where you get it all done within the first 2 feet from the reel.

All these various spiral wrap methods work pretty well. Some are better suited to certain things. I'd keep going just as you are and go outside and do some test casting and see how everything works. Then try loading the line and seeing how the rod reacts. If you've got the time, try making the transition from the top to bottom much sooner and trying that style as well. You'll end up liking one better than the other and that is the one you should go with.

Date: December 20, 2001 10:39AM

i've definately got the time, and that sounds like a good thing to try.

thanks!

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: December 20, 2001 11:17AM

Just to add. Don't pay so much attention to "how far" the guide is up the blank. Test cast and ensure you don't get line slap against the blank (too far) or as Tom said, put a load on the rod and make sure the line doesn't touch the blank there either (too far). The other problem that can occur is "piling". The line is coming off the reel and the oscilation is hitting the guide in such a manner that you get excessive slack, which in turn drastically impedes distance. (again, here typically the guide is too far away). Finally, look at the angle of the line coming into the first guide. If the angle is too acute (sharp) this will increase friction and probably end up requiring additional guides on up the blank. I hope this helps. One additional thought. When letting the line determine the path of guides, make sure you have centered the "line guide" (don't know the name of it) on the reel.

Re: spiral information
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 20, 2001 03:05PM

Matt,
You've done the right first step in searching the archinves of robuilding.org for good information about the spiral wrap. Not much to add already to good advice given, and you seem to be on the right path with determining angles and guide placements. The goal is for the smoothest line transition, but also pay attention to using good materials and sound basic rodbuilding technique, as well as matching up rod/reel and line ratings. All these add to an optimum performing rod.

There really is not such a great mystique about wrapping guides to make a spiral rod, but the tweaking is what will make it perform best.
What works best for you and your particular method of fishing is what is important.

Just to add, the spiral idea works with levelwind or non level wind reel situations. I have used this recently on red snapper/grouper rods and with no line piling (no line guide on the non levelwind large penn reels), and also with musky trolling and crankbait rods.
For the best bass casting rods, a well designed and built spiral rod will exceed your expectations. There are tweaking factors in adjusting the guides 'just right' for increasing casting distance and overall performance.

Rich G.
Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: spiral information
Date: December 20, 2001 04:34PM

thanks for th ehelp, as always.

matt

update
Date: December 21, 2001 03:39PM

i placed my guides by placing the 2 tip guides, then running my line through them (making sure to center the line guide on my reel), then put tape with a line at the correct angle on the blank for each guide.

then i placed the guides on in the right places. went outside to test cast, and everything worked great. no line pile, casted effortlessly with no line slap. flexed the blank, and the line didn't touch anything but the guides.

snuck home today at lunch for a couple of hours and wrapped it up. went outside to test cast again, and everything was still perfect. it's drying right now, and i can't wait to use it.

thanks again,

matt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster