I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod blank suggestions -Fluke
Posted by: Gary Liguori (---.246.77.130.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: December 20, 2001 01:11AM

Hi all,

I would like to build a graphite rod to use for fluke fishing.
I use a conventional reel and 20-25# test line. The rod must be able to handle 6 to 12 oz. weights, yet provide the sensitivity necessary to feel the less than agressive bite of these fish. I prefer a rod of 7'. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Gary....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod blank suggestions -Fluke
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 20, 2001 09:33AM

I used to build quite a few rods for fishing of this type. I am a bit surprised at the weight you are using and assume you are drifting for these fish and not casting to them.

That said, my fluke and flounder customers where always more concerned with being able to see the bite, rather than feel it. That required a rod with a soft tip. We normally used fiberglass sea trout type blanks and had good results. In a graphite I think I would look for a general spinning or casting model that would not be too stiff in the tip area. Another idea would be something like a live bait blank that would have that soft tip but good power in the butt. I'd steer you towards something like a Seeker CLB702 or 704. These are fiberglass blanks with an outer wrap of graphite in the bottom half. Very powerful but quite soft in the tip.

Maybe the live bait idea won't work for you, but I'm thinking it would be worth a try. How large are the fish you normally catch when fishing this way?

Posted by: Fish Stix (J. Vadakin) (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 20, 2001 09:38AM

I really like the GUSA BSW70H . 7 ft. , #17-#40 line. I use this on my snapper rods with #25 line. Graphite construction for sensitivity, but plenty of pulling power. Spiral wrap the guides (HNSG for me), Aftco #1 aluminum seat, 8" foregrip, and gimbal your option (I don't need it, especially with the spiraled guides).

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 20, 2001 10:14AM

I go with Jeff and the GUSA blank, Tom I think you got trapped into regional thinking, like you most of our Flounder{fluke} fishing is a fairly shallow water condition, however if memory serves some of the New York waters were fairly deep and had some strong tides. You might also consider some graphite composits,these generally offer a softer tip with plenty of strength in the butt section.I also think the Fuji graphite seat should be sufficient with less weight.
John

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: December 20, 2001 10:36AM

Gary - where are you fishing? Ambrose, Montauk, or Orient? 14oz is a lot for FLuke, especially since there wee so many of them that were about 14oz themselves this year.

MY "heavy" ocean Fluke rod (not built yet) is a Seeker CSW658 (6'6). I plan to use it for up to 10oz with braided line. Other rods to consider from Seeker taht are 7' and a bit heavier than the 658 are the CSW709, CLB708. Not sure about 14oz with them though.

There are a few all-graphite Lami's that will fit the bill here, I have no experiance with them. Wait till Rodprof answers - he's built "1 or 2" rods to fit the bill here.

Billy

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 20, 2001 10:52AM

I'm sure these are all good suggestions, but don't write off the CLB series - I'd still take it over all the others mentioned here. I like them that much and they work for a variety of tasks. If you've got a shop in your area, I'd sure go in and pull and bend some blanks.

Posted by: John (66.95.147.---)
Date: December 20, 2001 01:06PM

I don't know if you can get the blanks or not but the Lamiglas Tri-Flex rods are exactly what your looking for. Super lightweight. A light flexible tip and a strong butt section to handle the weight of deep water fluke fishing. Great Rods! I'd look for that blank if they're available.

Posted by: Rob (65.82.96.---)
Date: December 20, 2001 06:29PM

I was getting ready to build a fluke rod myself for inlet and jetty fishing on a Lamiglass GLB901 blank. I'm curious to death now to check out a Seeker CLB. Seeker is one of the few brands I've never tested; I've heard lots of mixed reviews. I'll have to look at a new Lami Tri-flex too.

For flounder fishing as I know it in NC, I rarely toss more than a 3 or 4oz weight--usually 2oz. I can't imagine 14oz. The soft tips of a live bait rod are great for throwing mullet and I'll take all the sensitivity I can get to help detect their subtle bites. I swear they just inhale my bait and then lay back down on the sea floor to belch out my hook if I haven't set the hook yet. Fun fish.

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: December 20, 2001 11:18PM

You guys have to realize we don't cast out (not always, but 80% of the time) for Fluke/Flounder. We drift for them from a boat in deep water and fast currents where it is neccesary for heavy sinkers. I mis-read the first time with the 14oz vs 12oz - my bad, I was off by a couple.

THe Lami Tri-flex blanks are really nice. The CGBT781M or 841M is way too heavy for Fluke, but makes a great deep water blackfish rod and a good chunking/eeling rod for Bass/Blues. Drop down to the 781ML (which I have set up as a spinner for 4oz diamond jigs) and you may be able to get away with dragging 12oz. I'm honestly not sure since I haven't done it with this rod, but it might do. Forget the CGBTxx1L - it makes a nice rod for lighter Fluking and Weakfishing with up to 6oz + braid. This is my opinion and what I use these rods for.

Gary - still curious where you fish - Mattituck maybe?

Posted by: Al Goldberg (---.nyc.bestweb.net)
Date: December 20, 2001 11:19PM

All the blanks mentioned will do a great job for ocean fluking. I have the following in my own arsenal of rods: Seeker's CLB708, CBW658; GUSA SW70LM, Lami CMB842F and Calstar's GX7 and GF700XL. All but the GUSA are composite blanks.

I do most of my fluking in the deep waters off Montauk Point, NY where in the past I used 16 ounces on a full moon tide when drifting through the rips. However, with the introduction of the new braided no-stretch lines you can now fish with alot less weight.

For a rod strictly for fluke and other inshore bottom fish like sea bass and scup, I would go for either of the following blanks: Calstar GX7, Lami CMB842F or the Seeker CLB704.

For a rod with a little more backbone and versatility I would go with the Seeker CBW658, Calstar GF700XL or the Lami GFC84M.

Posted by: Gary Liguori (---.244.182.73.Dial1.NewYork2.Level3.net)
Date: December 20, 2001 11:43PM

Guys,
Thanks for all your responses. I will try to get to a shop and try out as many of these blanks as possible. I fish mostly out of Sheepshead Bay and, when I can, Montauk. We drift fish in deep water and the heavy weight is sometimes necessary to hold bottom when the tide starts to rip. This deep water fishing doesn't
produce many fish but very few shorts if any. I guess they weigh from 4 to 7 lbs. with some bigger.

Thanks again,
Regards,
Gary.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 21, 2001 10:58AM

Hi Gary.

Looks like all the choices of great blanks has already been taken. A wealth of good info there.

Let me take a different approach to the problem. I think 6-12 oz is a wide payload. I would build 2 rods and split the load. A rod for 6-8 oz. Another rod for 10 to 12+ oz.

For 6-8+oz I would select CLB 704, CSW 658 both Seekers, Calstar GF700XL or Lamiglas CGBT 841ML.

For 10-12+ I would select the Lamiglas CGBT 841M, BT 84 2M (fiberglass), GBT 84 1M. Calstar GF 700L or M.

If I was to build just 1 rod to cover 6 to 12 oz. I would lean to a heavier blank since the fishing is in deep heavy current water. The CGBT 841M is a very sensitive blank but stiff tip. (Great blackfish blank). The GBT 84 1M and both Calstars have softer tips.

Here is a dark horse candidate. Lamiglas composite C6909 20-50# line."THE SHADOW" It is 9' so I would prune the tip (to handle the weight I would be using most) and then cut the butt to desired length.
Blank is a little heavy but in cutting the butt much of this weight would be removed. The tip is soft and flexible. I have made this into a surf/jetty stick and it can throw 2 oz bucktails. The ROD PROF has trimmed this model into a cod fish monster. This blank is very adaptable. It can handle the weight and is sensitive.

Gary, the bottom line is to find the blank that fits your style of fishing.

Happy hunting.

Capt Neil.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster