I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

renzetti rod lathes
Posted by: jim reed (---.woh.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2001 07:27PM

just curios, can the renzetti lathe do all it says? i don't mind spending the extra $ if i feel that it is the best. can it mill cork and still and wrap for a couple years of say, 10-15 poles a month or should i purchase a seperate lathe (any opinions welcome, quality only) for the basement.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: renzetti rod lathes
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 19, 2001 07:39PM

Yes, it can do it all and more. 10 or 15 a month? I would think 10 to 15 per day and for maybe twice your lifetime. I think that much of it. But I was advised to get the 1/10 HP motor and it was a good choice. I can do some easy turning on cork and EVA and still have good control for thread wrapping. Hard to go wrong with this unit.

Posted by: jim reed (---.woh.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2001 07:59PM

i am going to build my own dryer that will hold about 10 rods per section at about 10-15 rpm. i would like to know how you can build a cork lathe with a 1/2 or 1 horse motor that i already have from some of my woodworking tools, or should i just get a flex coat lathe. (drill setup?) any good cork lathes out there?

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 19, 2001 09:07PM

The cheap woodworking lathes are not much for turning wood but are great for cork. Harbor Freight usually has serviceable ones for under $200. The Renzetti you talking about buying will turn cork like butter. Mount it on a slab of MDF so you can carry it outside when you want to turn nasty stuff like cork and EVA. Then reverse the hose on your shop vac and blow it all back to mother nature.

Mount your beds on two pieces of MDF. Join them in your shop and use as a rod lathe full lenth. For turning on a mandrel just unhook the sections and carry the end with motor and headstock outside.

Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 19, 2001 09:08PM

well i converted a bench top drill press and have it in a seperate room in my shop so i dont have to worrie about cork or graphit dust in my epoxy any questions on how i did this just email me ...john t burford

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 20, 2001 09:36AM

Between rod building and rod repairs, I would guess that any of my Renzetti lathes have handled over ten thousands rods each and they are still like new. Of course, any tool requires some amount of general maintainence and care if you expect it to last and operate for a long time.

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: December 20, 2001 11:43AM

If it comes the same as a Clemens, then the first purchase I would make is a rheostat to wire inline between footpedal and motor. This lets you fine tune the speed to the nth degree. I like using footpedal for on/off operation and control the speed via the rheostat.

Posted by: FKrow (209.176.9.---)
Date: December 20, 2001 01:18PM

Elrod,
Is the rheostat for light dimmers (120V AC) suitable for the variable speed motor adjustment?

The motor I have is the small 1/15 HP or 1/10 HP on the Clemens/Renezetti lathes.

Regards,
FKrow

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: December 20, 2001 02:59PM

Yes, I bought mine at Lowe's for $4. I was a little worried that the amp pull might fry the dimmer, but been using it for a few months now and not a problem. They do make one for small industrial equipment, but they didn't have them in stock and I am like a kid with a new present, didn't want to wait. Told myself I would get the machine one later, but never seen the need to. I would think if going to anything bigger it would be necessary to purchase the industrial one.

Motors
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: December 20, 2001 03:31PM

Fred,

There is quite a bit of difference between the 1/15 and the 1/10 with solid state foot control. The 1/10 is just better all around and the solid state foot control is much more accurate. I know some people like the dimmer switch (can be hard on motors though) and Mike Bolt has one installed on his unit. It works well.

There is another very simple way to achieve easy speed control for those with a heavy foot - put a screw/bolt thru the foot pedal and adjust the height so that you can only depress the pedal so far. This limits your maximum speed to whatever you are comfortable with. I know one guy who just puts cork shims beneath the pedal so he can't depress it all the way. It's crude, but effective.

Buddy Owens has also redesigned his foot board for total motor control all along a 12 foot length. You have to use it to believe it. Perfect response and great speed control. If I can get him off the golf course for a few hours I am going to photograph his new unit and feature it in the magazine. It is the best speed control and foot operated motor control I have ever tried.

Re: Motors
Posted by: FKrow (---.230.252.64.snet.net)
Date: December 20, 2001 07:48PM

Tom,
This group of rodbuilders has an endless stream of talent. I am constantly amazed at the ideas that are freely exchanged.

Thank you for making this forum and Rodbuilder magazine possible.

Regards,
FKrow

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster