I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cane spine...?
Posted by: Sean Tate (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: December 18, 2001 08:59PM

OK, this may be a stupid question, but is there a natural spine on a cane rod, obviously other than the opposite side of a natural curve or un-removeable set? I'm getting ready to place guides and I'm just looking for advice on which facet to go with. Does it matter?

Sean

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cane spine...?
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 18, 2001 09:08PM

I think there is. But from what I have done on rewraps is to look for the natural curve and put it in the 'up' position so that under pressure the rod tends to straighten. Plus, if the rod tends to wrap any later on it usually happens in that plane. I'd rather have any bend either up or down than to the side in a cane rod.

Posted by: Peter (---.aalbkom.dk)
Date: December 19, 2001 02:35AM

I've just marked the spine on the top half of a new cane blank - very easy to find. I think you should take the spine into consideration just as with a carbon blank.

The bottom half however is giving me problems - I just cant find the spine ??
The bottom half is very stiff since this is an 8 weight rod and it is very hard to get a good bend on it - so I'll second the question - does the spine matter on a very stiff bottom half ?

Peter

Date: December 19, 2001 08:42PM

Again, I think on bamboo you will want to locate the natural bend in that section and position it so that the weight of the guides or strain from the fish are working against it.

Date: December 20, 2001 02:14AM

William,

maybe this is not usual but this bottom section is 99 % straight - how would you then position the guides ?

Thanks
Peter

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: December 20, 2001 02:54PM

Throw it up in the air, and whichever side is facing up when you catch it, you have your facet. (Just kidding) I don't know hardly a thing about bamboo, but it be logical that it would not matter on this butt section if it is so stiff you can't hardly put a flex on it (then a fish probably wouldn't either) and since it is straight.

Re: Cane spine and 4-piece rods
Date: December 21, 2001 02:36AM

I can get a bend on it - just not a good bend as with the top section - I guess I'll just try again.

Btw. I will be building a 4-piece T&T SC 7 weight this spring - is locating the spine on the rather short bottom sections difficult - they too must be kind of stiff ?

Merry chistmas
Peter

Re: Cane spine and 4-piece rods
Date: December 22, 2001 09:46PM

Position these short and stiff sections so that any natural concave bend is set so that the bend is down and the butt and tip are up. That's about all you can do and it will work out just fine. I have seen both Don Morton and Tom Kirkman say to do it this way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster