I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning & retrieval"line slap"
Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 17, 2001 09:04PM

I thoroughly enjoyed the articles in the latest"Rod Maker",am glad my mail's being forwarded. The EAC Article has given me some pause and I want to read it a few more times & ponder it ; I have plenty of pondering time during this recovery period.
Meanwhile a question( and what else is new Warren?). How would serious would you-all rate line slap during unloaded(no fish) line retrieval with spinning tackle. I'm not talking about the REASON for the slap just the slap itself as far as wear on the line goes.We're talking about a rod that is used primarily for lure fishing, there are a lot more"unloaded rerieves" than loaded ones.
This problem would show up primarily when using surface lures like Spooks, pencil poppers, and the like.
To the best of my knowledge the reasons for this"problem" are; 1. Reel too lagre or rod too short(ie unmatched/balanced tackle)2. Butt/stripper guide too something( small in diameter, too far from the face of the reel spool, guide ring too close to the blank, or somecombination/all of the above.)
As a striver for"perfection" and knowing that compromise is a foregone conclusion I wonder how you-all look at this"situation" as experienced builders. Is this an absolute no-no or a not desireable but not taboo occurrance. Thanks much. Warren

Options: ReplyQuote
No slap
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 17, 2001 09:22PM

If you set the rod up as shown in the article or with the new guide concept article they did earlier you will not get any line slap at all even under unloaded line conditions. The very high frame butt guide you use with both systems and the placement of it pretty much keeps the line a long way from the blank.

Re: No slap
Posted by: matt lewis (---.cbtri.com)
Date: December 18, 2001 09:30AM

looks to me like if you got line slap on a retrieve, you'd get line slap on a cast, which would be (for me) a absolute no-no. hope this helps.

thanks, matt

Posted by: Mike Kosiba (163.206.192.---)
Date: December 18, 2001 12:06PM

Warren, glad you're doing better. I know what you are talking about; that type of line slap is prevalent if you test cast in the yard. I fish unweighted soft plastics with spinning tackle. I don't think you would have any problems with line wear but I think you should be concerned with how the line lays on the reel with that much slack. Loose line on the reel will eventually tangle and may dig in under load causing the reel drag to appear too tight.

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: December 18, 2001 04:29PM

mike, I experience this line digging in and twisting and whatnot you talk about way too often. I tend to always have 1 rod rigged with a soft-plastic jerk minnow, usually with no weight. seems not to make a bit of difference how the rod is set up, and is again amplified by using a cheap reel. I really think it is just a matter of being diligent about putting a little bit of tension on the reel always, even if it means running the line through your fingers before it goes over the line roller. If this is incorrect, someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.colsonservices.com)
Date: December 18, 2001 06:06PM

Jnail and Mike - I have experianced the same thing, and at first I just thought I did someting wrong. It is also amplified when using mono over braid, at least for me it is. good to see I'm not the onlt one who this happens to. Funny thing is, before I built rods and had a clue, I would've never noticed. Now I see it all the time.

Billy

Posted by: Mike Kosiba (163.206.192.---)
Date: December 19, 2001 12:14PM

jnail, every 3rd or 4th cast I like to run the line through my fingers to help tighten it up on the reel, especially when fishing at night. The twist can often be minimized by making sure the bait is perfectly straight on the hook, but after a full day it will usually be pretty bad.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster