I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bright or metalic wraps on fly rods?
Posted by: John Lasky (208.136.18.---)
Date: December 17, 2001 03:16PM

Hey every one thanks for all the help!

Now that I found a way to paint my blanks with nice results im now toying with types of thread and color ranges other than my dull standards.

Ive found several combinations that will work very nice (2 of them are a bit on edge for fly rod wraps, per the norm That is.)

my question is do any of you personlly or have customers that specify metalic colors or bright colors for main wraps on graphite rods, 4wt?

I agree with Tom Kirkman and many of you in the fact that a rod should be how you want it rather than politcally correct.

I also know the rod police wont be calling on me but just wondered if any one has fly rods wrapped in non traditional manner and is there any reason not to wrap in brighter colors?, I dont think scaring fish is an issue so?.

It seems like anything goes on spin/bait rods but any fly rod i've ever seen has been on the conservative side at best . slight color contrast if any with a few turns of metalic thread for trim.

Im painting my blank midnight blue and did some test wraps with several combos,2 of the nicer combos was metalic blue wraps with metalic pewter trim I never thought it would look nice but!!, the other that came out very nice was a brownish orange thread (sunset color) with metalic blue trim.

Am I out of ethical line for fly rod protocol or do some of you folks practice the above.

Happy wrapping "John"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bright or metalic wraps on fly rods?
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 17, 2001 03:27PM

John,
You can run and you can hide, but the the bin laden Rod Police will be seeking you for those outlandish metallic wraps. Ha Ha.
At least you are painting the blank 'midnight' blue and not Metallic! That should keep those fish from holing up in the caves of underwater Tora Bora! ha
Just kidding. If it works for you, that is what matters.

The Joy of Custom Rod Building!

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Doug Weber (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: December 17, 2001 06:05PM

John:

It does not really matter at all! What does matter is that your client is more than satisfied. That's what counts. If the wraps were neon blue with metallic magenta and puce ncp trim rings, and your customer is pleased with result, then who cares? Customer service is king. What you might do, is to take some blank scrap, paint it up with your favorite colors, and experiment with different colored wrappings and trim rings. Then finish them off and show your customers.

Now, the fly rod police may say that anything that alerts the trout to your presence is verboten. The question is, do the wrappings on the rod alert the trout and make their eyes bleed, or does the action of the angler waving the long wand chase them off to deep water? Personally, I believe it's the angler. So tell the rod police to buzz off and bother someone else. As long as your bill is paid promptly by a very satisfied customer, you have NO gripes.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 17, 2001 06:22PM

When it comes to those purest fly roders, they more stirel the better, They do not like any thing flashy. They think it scares the fishies. Hey what ever floats your boat go for it. My biggest problem with custers is they want me to give them a warrenty that says that the rod well chetch big fish. I would wrap any way you want to.
Good luck Bob

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2001 06:41PM

What one might consider truly odd is having a customer order a rod and insist it be exactly the same as the production model, as to bright metallic colors scaring fish some of the salt water flies I have seen have enough mylar on them to scare anything and still they work.When the metallics first became popular with custom builders none of the mass produced rods had them now more and more even the lowest end rods are metallic to some degree.You and or your customer make the final decision,if you or they want metallic go for it,might start a whole new trend in fly rods.
John

Re: trend??
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 17, 2001 08:22PM

John,
How about the "rod police series" of custom fly rods?
Or "flash fly rods"? I think it would be an awesome trend for saltwater fly rods to match the bright fly patterns.

To be honest, I do like some of the earth silk colors for traditional fly rods like the scarlet and hunter green, chestnuts and so on. Nothing wrong with a nice matching thread to the color of the blank, with a simple trim band. Also, some can see artistry in simplicity and quality by use of one color or thread well placed against a handsome blank that will enhance the total look of guide, thread, and blank in a way words are hard to describe. A recent issue of rodmaker showed this so well with the visual wrap on a bamboo rod, simply a marvel.

I do think going custom to meet the expectations of your customer is a primary goal of those in the business. From a functional standpoint, the rod performance is a prime consideration, no matter what the artistry. The individual characteristics is what make the rod stand out for particular rodbuilders and draw attention to potential customers as to the variety that really can exist.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: trend??
Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: December 18, 2001 04:53PM

bring it on! what is the craziest combo you can come up with? a freind and I once wrapped a pair of sage rods for a guy and his only request was make it as ugly as possible! you should have seen these things, every color you can think of on one rod! MY point is, give them what they want. I am working on a spinning rod right now using that orange HT braid that also glows in the dark, and I'll be d---ed if I am not going to build a fly rod to match it! A 1/2" diameter fly rod, I don't care if the whole thing is chrome, isn't going to scare nearly as many fish as a 180# angler stumbling up the creek with a 40# fishing vest with all kinds of trinkets and doodads hanging from it. And yes I do trout fish ALOT, I am not just bashing anyone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster