I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lake Trout Trolling Blank ??
Posted by: Tom Wolfe (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 16, 2001 06:04PM

I am looking for opinions or sugestions for a 7-81/2 foot trolling rod for lake trout. Would want to put roller guides, med-med hvy action. Since I really do not have alot of experience in this type of fishing, I figured I would come ask some experts! I guess I need to get out more & away from just surf & saltwater rods!

Thanks!
Tom Wolfe
Last Cast

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lake Trout Trolling Blank ??
Posted by: Richard's Rod & Reel Service (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 16, 2001 07:24PM

Tom,
First, it might depend on where and how big rigs you'll use in trolling for lake trout. Is this for big open water great lakes downrigging deep, or as might be frequently the method in Canadian Shield Lakes trolling out of a decent skiff or a bit larger craft. Having said this, I'll probably be jumped on by those who say the "only" method is by downrigging.
I'll take my chances here and say with experience of catching lake trout while trolling in even the larger lakes like Crow, Lake of the Woods and so on up here without the use of downrigging equipment have myself and been with others catching decent trout with the use of much lesser rods than those needing roller tops and overlengthly true downrigging or heavy trolling rods.

Yes, it might make sense to go up to something in the 7' or over range, and with a medium heavy power would be about what is needed in say a 15 to 30 lb. class blank?
Like I said, a lot depends on a lot. Where? what rigs? Downrigging rods would be lengthier and beefier.
Personally, my favorite trolling lake trout rod is a 6 1/2 ft. graphite composite medium heavy spinning outfit with 12 lb. test line. I've caught with confidence up to 17 lb. lake trout and sure could handle them even larger with this set up.

For a levelwind setup, consider the use of a spiral wrapped rod for best stability, fish fighting, and less fatigue should you be holding the rod for longer periods while trolling. If using extensively the super braid lines, I would recommend use of SiC or titanium ringed (TiCN or TiCH) guides for better heat dissipation and abrasion resistance.

my opinions here, and I'm sure you'll get many others.

Rich G.
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 17, 2001 03:24PM

Being from Washington State and not knowing a thing about big lake trout. I would probley build this rod as if I were building a rod for trolling for salmon 7 to 81/2 foot long and make it medium heavy. I think in this case roller guides would be a wast of material. I would use Sic guides and put them on the rod in a Roberts wrap (spiral wrap).
Good Luck Bob

Posted by: Petro Chem (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: December 17, 2001 11:58PM

Hi Tom-

The previous posters have a point, a lot depends on the chosen technique. Will the rod serve double duty as a casting or jigging stick or be used strictly for trolling? A heavy jig or spoon sent deep and jigged (Krocodile or Daredevil) takes a lot of lakers, too! Also what type of line will be used is something to consider.

If spectra or wire line is on the reel, I would probably go with a glass rod blank for a little extra shock absorption. Lakers have relatively soft mouths and a no-stretch line leaves little room for error, especially when the boat is moving one way and the fish is moving the other. If you use mono, which stretches like crazy, blank material is less of an issue.

In one-piece glass blanks, try a Seeker (Med. Action Live Bait) SB803, SB903 minus afew inches from the butt, or a slightly heavier SB906- also minus a few inches from the butt. In a shorter, faster blank (7') you might try the 270-7 in the Classic Series Live Bait category.

Lamiglas makes some nice 2-piece salmon blanks that perform very well in graphite (GSH 1022 MH, H & XH). In one-piece you might consider one of the lighter GLB series in 20# or 30# rating.

For the guides- depends on the line and also your personal vision for this rod. I've been playing with the spiral wrap lately and have become a convert to this method of guide placement. An exception would be if a full set of rollers was in order.

Hope this helps a little!

Tom Kohl
Petrochemical

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster