I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

4 strippers?
Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 15, 2001 10:53AM

Just wanted to seperate topic a little. Referring the equal angle guide technique. He mentioned not only using a "collector guide" approx 4 inches after the first stripper, but then possible two more, each being 1.2x the distance. The basically ends up being 4 stripper guides within 20 inches. Correct? I know test casting will tell, but are any of you doing this? Makes sense to me, as I always fight the oscillation of fly line throughout the lower section of rods (until it gets into the tip section or smaller guides).
Just wanting additional thoughts and opinions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Only one stripping guide.
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 15, 2001 09:25PM

There is only one stripping guide on a fly rod, period. It is the first one nearest the reel seat. All the rest are running guides. As was said before, you can call them what you like.

Re: Only one stripping guide.
Posted by: Jim Shambarger (204.149.9.---)
Date: December 16, 2001 12:25PM

I very much enjoyed Mr. Morton's article on guide placement using the equal angle method over the first 120 deg. of arc for the flexible portion of the rod beginning at the tip end. It is well written and makes good sense.

Three questions came to my mind when reading the method:

1. The first guide from the tip should be no more than 4" by convention. Does this still hold?
2. The number of guides in this section is a judgement call by the builder. He does not want the angle between the guide and the line under maximum load to be too great overloading the blank between guides. What angle is too great an angle?
3. He discusses progressive angle placement as an improvement over equal placement near the tip. What is the mechanics of this as it relates to the guides, line and casting/loading efficiency?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 16, 2001 02:55PM

I hadn't given this too much thought but you are correct - there is only one stripping guide on a fly rod, no matter how many or what type guides you have on there. Good point.

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: December 18, 2001 02:53AM

When using a collecter guide some 100cm forward of the first stripping guide, a very strong case can be made for naming this setup a "Double Stripping Guide" That second guide actually becomes a second stripping guide in a very real sense. Remove either of the two and you have a different rod. On light rods, 3 wt, and 4 wt, I have settled on about 3 1/2 inches and one size smaller for the second guide. On 5 wt and heavier, I go for the full 100cm (4"). Its presence definitely modifies the line oscillation. If its not a second stripping guide, then what is it?
Ralph

Re: collector guide
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 18, 2001 12:08PM

Ralph,
You just named it. Why not call it a 'Collector Guide' ? or second collector guide? and the ones beyond that simply running guides?

Rich

Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: collector guide
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: December 18, 2001 02:34PM

What we have here is just different terminology for the same thing from different people. A stripping guide is considered the butt-most guide on a fly rod. On a spinnng or casting rod it is a butt guide. How many butt guides can you have? How much of the rod is considered the butt? How far up the rod do you go before you start calling the guides running guides? 1/3rd? Halfway?

In the case of fly rods, I think it quite common to refer to any ceramic double footed guide as a "stripping" guide and any snakes or single foot guides as the running guides. At least this is what most people envision.

But William may be correct - I am not sure who the authority on this terminology might be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster