I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Opinions on reel seat
Posted by: Peter Malessa (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2001 03:09AM

I have a glx 1088-4 blank I bought for salt. With all the vendors on here would someone suggest their choice for a reel seat. Price doesn't matter but I don't care for titanium.
Thank you, Peter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opinions on reel seat
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 15, 2001 10:00AM

My preference would be any of the graphite/nylon seats such as the Fuji or equivilent. I have used them on hundreds and hundreds of heavy saltwater fly rods and to date have never had a failure or even a problem of any kind. They hold tight, let go only when you want them to, and are impervious to the elements, forever.

Posted by: Lincoln Parmer (---.atw.pa.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: December 15, 2001 10:34AM

Peter: Tom K is right on this one. Salt means one thing. Corrosion. SW is not pretty fishing. This requires performance. Suggest you leave the nickle silver/ exotic wood stuff for the people who can afford to buy another one after it fails due to corrosion,sand,and other elements. Buy Fuji. They are a workhorse, and they stand up to the abuse. With titanium cost is usually the issue. Looks good tho. Stick with Fuji. Good luck Linc

Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2001 11:51AM

About these exotic woods in saltwater, if you use them with the graphite hoods would they be ok ? I take care of my rods (cleaning after use) but there is times when I am in the backcountry for a week at a time and fresh water is limited. I just picked up a GUSA B83M and wanted to try this, what do you think guys. Also, Mr Parmer you said saltwater is not pretty fishing , hooking into a 10 lb. Bone fish and watching it scream across a crystal clear flat at 80 mph takes my breath away. I think I know what you mean saltwater is not like freshwater.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 15, 2001 12:20PM

The graphite/nylon seats will take the exposure to the elements. Woods that are very oil/resinous (cocobolo and some other rosewoods) and those woods that have been impregnated with some type of acrylic resin, will also withstand the salt environment to a great extent.

Standard wood inserts finished with oil or varnish do not do very well after some time in that environment.

Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2001 01:25PM

Thanks Tom, I really wanted to do something different with this blank . Well I just received your latest Rodmaker mag. and there in the Photo Gallery is Mr. Bill Whitson's creation a saltwater rod with wood insert what a beautiful stick. Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster