I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Bamboo Rod, Assembly Advice
Posted by: MichaelC (---.server.ntl.com)
Date: June 14, 2001 08:03AM

Hi All,

This has the makings of a great site, hope you can help me with these queries about my first bamboo rod build!

I already have the components listed below, so I'm already now to assemble.

2 Piece 7'6" LineNo4 Impregnated Bamboo Blank
1 Nickel Silver D/L Reel Seat with Wood insert
Cork Rings
One Nickel Silver Winding Check
Pair Nickel Silver Ferrules, fitted but not glued
Set of Seymo chrome guides + hook-keeper
Silk Threads

I intend to brush on the Varnish before wrapping the guides (I know it can make wrapping a little more slippery, especially with Silk).

So assembly would be in this order:

1. Locate spine, mark flat, and glue on Reel Seat.
2. Glue on TipTop.
3. Glue on Cork rings, shape grip on lathe.
4. Fit on N/S Winding Check.
5. Glue on Ferrules.
6. Write 'inscription' on butt section with dip pen and India Ink
6. Apply 2-4 coats Varnish, thinned progressively and gently use 0000 Wire Wool between dried coats.
7. Wrap all guides and ferrules.
9. Apply 2 thin coats of Varnish to Wraps, 'feathered' over to Blank.
9. Glue on Butt Cap.

Have any of you bamboo rod makers any comments on this intended sequence?

I also have a Varnish query;
I have the choice of Polyurethane or Spar and also between Gloss and Satin, what are your personal preferences?

All comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

MichaelC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Bamboo Rod, Assembly Advice
Posted by: Russ Gooding (---.dejazzd.com)
Date: June 14, 2001 08:51AM

Hi Michael,

Regarding varnish for the wraps. It depends on whether you prefer opaque or translucent wraps. Polys act like a color preserver to some extent, though if you want truly color preserved wraps, use a color preserver of some sort. Spars - and I mean a true oil & resin marine spar - will make the silk go translucent. Both are traditional, so it's a matter of personal taste.

If you aren't already a subscriber to Tom's RodMaker, I'd call him and sign up. The next issue will contain an article that will be of direct interest to you.

Though it's not the sequence I prefer, you'll come away with a very fishable rod. Make a few and experiment - in a couple years you'll have tried many methods and sequences and materials...it takes some time to discover what works best for any one maker. A lot depends on what you want out of your rod - a fishing tool, an art piece, or both.

Posted by: Russ Gooding (---.dejazzd.com)
Date: June 14, 2001 09:12AM

Hi Michael,

Regarding varnish for the wraps. It depends on whether you prefer opaque or translucent wraps. Polys act like a color preserver to some extent, though if you want truly color preserved wraps, use a color preserver of some sort. Spars - and I mean a true oil & resin marine spar - will make the silk go translucent. Both are traditional, so it's a matter of personal taste.

If you aren't already a subscriber to Tom's RodMaker, I'd call him and sign up. The next issue will contain an article that will be of direct interest to you.

Though it's not the exact sequence I prefer, you'll come away with a very fishable rod. Make a few and experiment - in a couple years you'll have tried many methods and sequences and materials...it takes some time to discover what works best for any one maker. A lot depends on what you want out of your rod - a fishing tool, an art piece, or both.

Best regards,

Russ

Posted by: Jojo (---.dial-up.ipa.net)
Date: June 22, 2001 07:08PM

Michael,

I think you may want to re-think the order of your procedure.

1. Fit and glue on tiptop.
2. Measure sections to determine proper ferrule placement. Merely cutting the rod into two equal sections of 45" each will give you a shorter rod than 7'6". Depending upon the ferrule you are using, your sections will be closer to 45½" each. DO NOT cut the butt section length at this time. You only need to determine where the ferrule station is to be cut.
3. Once section lengths have been determined, fit ferrule for tip section, and glue into place once you are satisfied with everything.
4. Fit ferrule for butt section, and glue into place.
5. Using the tip section, align the tiptop with the end of the female ferrule on the butt section, mark on the butt section where the end of the male ferrule of the tip section is. This will be the total length of the butt section.
5. Depending upon how obsessive you are you may want to take into account the thickness of your reel seat cap when determining the overall length of the butt section. If you don't your butt section will be approximately .090 longer than your tip.
6. Glue on reel seat. Allow time for adhesive to dry.
7. Glue hardware to reel seat. Don't forget any rings or nuts! Allow adhesive to dry.
8. Glue on cork rings. Allow adhesive to dry and shape on lathe, if you prefer this method over gluing the rings together beforehand and then shaping on a lathe.
9. Fit winding check.
10. Write inscription.
11. Apply finish to rod. With an imprenated blank you will be doing little other than adding the depth of finish and weight of the additional varnish. 2-4 coats is usual for non-impregnated blanks. Typically, impregnated blanks have no additional coatings. A couple of coats of varnish to seal your inscription is a good idea but you needn't do the whole rod unless you simply want to do so.
12. Wrap guides and ferrules,
13. Finish wraps. If you've finished the wraps properly it isn't necessary to feather the finish onto the blank, unless you want that look. Some makers dip their rods with one final coat in order to provide a smoother transition from wrap to blank. If you use the Pearsall's silk thread you will have a much finer delineation that if you use some of the other brands.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster