I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Your favorite rod?
Posted by: Rob (---.bluestar.net)
Date: July 05, 2001 06:29PM

I'm realizing, now that I'm obsessed with this hobby, that it's going to take me years to try out all the blanks on the market to determine my absolute favorites in every class. For those of you who build--and build a lot--please share what your single favorite rod is and what specific blank and components you use to make it magical.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Your favorite rod?
Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: July 05, 2001 09:12PM

I don't have "one favorite rod", but I do have a favorite rod for Redfishing and I have a favorite rod for Tarpon and one for Snook and so on. I do carry one rod on my boat that is a Lamiglas GLB901MT, 7'6" with Fuji LVSG guides and deluxe reel seat . I use 30 lb. Power Pro on a Diawa 2600 whisker reel , it casts like a dream. If I had only one rod to use it would be this one, I have caught from a 1 lb. Speckled Trout to a 117 lb. Tarpon on this rod . Yes Rod building can be addictive, there is nothing better than catching your first Bone fish (8 lb.) on your first fly rod you ever built (Lamiglas, 9'6" , 7 weight ) . Good luck on building on all those blanks out there.

Posted by: Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 05, 2001 09:28PM

I have many I like. One of my favorites has become my Loomis P842-2. This was in the old regular glossy charcoal colored graphite models. It has a fast tip but lots of power in the butt. I used Fuji titanium SIC guides on it with a Fuji seat and it is light! Normally fish about 8 to 10 pound line on it for trout but have used it for so many other types of fishing too. After reading the article in the Rodmaker about the New Guide System I tore it down over the winter and rewrapped it with that style. Now it's even better than before! It is always in the boat. If I broke it I cannot think of what I would replace it with.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: July 06, 2001 01:54AM

Haven't tried everything, but I have to say my favorite blank to use is the SCV (legend) from St. Croix. In casting the 7' med is best.
In spinning I like very much the 5S63MXF, which also a few 'affecianodos' have confirmed for me as well.

When wrapping these legends we like matching them up with Silk and the TiGold guides. For the reel seat insert, either the light weight cork, or any of the pleasing wood inserts with the TiGold matching hoods. The result is a very light weight rod and yet retain enough strength to surprise for the weight. Easy for all day casting. Pleasing and sharp in appearance and the performance of these rods is top notch.

I guess I might categorize a 'farorite' as to species or type of fishing situation (bait, presentation, etc.), but as described above it is the looks and 'feel' that go together for me.

As for some 'new' stuff to try out, I believe I will like using the popping blanks from Shikari and a couple of new SCIII St. Croix models with moderate tip actions. The 'softer' graphites will fit in nicely with the selections for some crankbait applications.

There are still so many blanks I would like to try out, don't think I have actually found my 'absolute' favorite yet for a long time to come.
Rob, I do agree with your statement about the obsession and with new blanks and components available all the time, it could be that your 'next rod' will be your favorite. Maybe we could expand on future posts favorite rods for certain categories, might be more specific.

Posted by: Bill O (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: July 06, 2001 11:51AM

I have two rods that go everywhere with me in N.E. One is a lamiglass MB963M glass blank honey color that I trimmed to a 12 tp and cut back to a overall length of 7'2". I stuck with BNLG guides and a BPLT1212 top. For a handle put on cork tape and a #20 fuji trigger seat. As for a reel, penn525gs and 20lb ande green. I use this for chunking, fishing live eels and plugging. Great rod that will out fish an 8 0r 9ft rod. The other is a Loomis IMX 844 cast rod,. This is matched up with a penn940 cast reel. Use this for plugging, bucktails and top water. Ive let people try the lamiglass and everyone loves the way it casts and fishes, but get it right back from them. Nobody fishes my Loomis! We catch stripers, bluefish and fluke (flounder) up here.

Maybe in the future we can have a "recipe section" where rod builders can share favorites for different regions or styles of fishing. What do you think Tom?

Posted by: Rob (---.bluestar.net)
Date: July 06, 2001 12:26PM

Coincidentally, I just bought the Lamiglass MB963M to try out for striper, specks, and flounder on Oregon Inlet--now I'm smiling with ideas on how to build and outfit it. I'll doubtless be trying out some other recommended favorites--the SCV, the Loomis, and the GLB901MT. I fish for everything from native brookies to bluefin tuna--fly, spin, troll, and cast. I realize we've all built good rods in every class, but most of us are true "experts" in one or two species and have a "favorite" rod accordingly. Please keep your recommendations coming. They're great!

mb963m
Posted by: BillO (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: July 06, 2001 03:34PM

Rob,
You will like this blank. I wrapped a spin rod for a good fishing friend several years back and he finally blew it up last year. Had me make him another one that week. This guys fishes 6 days a week from June to October for blue fish and stripers.
Great rod for big Zara Spooks and gibbs pencil poppers, 1 oz to 2 1/2. On this rod I used bsvlg for the first 3 guides then blvlg for the last 3. He used a penn 550 with 15lb test.

Good luck

Re: fav rod
Posted by: Rob (---.rasserver.net)
Date: July 07, 2001 12:23PM

Anyone have a favorite in Seeker for saltwater or Shikari for fresh? I've never built on either but have heard good things. My favorite rod this year is the new Graphite USA DHX 70LMXFW. I build it with Fuji Concept SIC's and a Tennessee spin handle. Fairly expensive, but I'd compare its performance to Loomis IMX--or even GLX. I'd like to try the Rainshadow Xcel and St. Croix SCV. Talked to Tom Greek a while back and he seemed to lean Peregee for fly. Others?

Posted by: Will (---.ilm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 07, 2001 10:30PM

Without a doubt my favorite rod is my Graphite USA B70H. I fish only saltwater and this is with everytime I am in the boat. It has the power to stop a freight train yet you can feel your pogie twitching in 16 ft of water while drifting for flounder. Unmatched sensitivity and unmatched power, what more could you ever want!!!

Posted by: Brad (---.179.240.220.lns02-stge-pth.dsl.comindico.co)
Date: August 04, 2005 08:54AM

I am building the SHIII 7'6 shikari hotshot at the moment for bream fishing here in western australia. I love the fast action which i believe will help me fish with soft plastics on a more consistent basis, not just small diving minnows. Most people over here dont fish under 7' so I have taken 6 inches off the butt to keep the action and reduce the length. I havent built rods before this but im more than happy to do a few more of these models thats for sure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster