I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for operators
Posted by: tunacrazy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 08, 2001 07:37PM

I have posted at least a dozen times on this board but when I come back each post is gone. This is a great board but I do not understand why my posts don't stay up. What else do I need to do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Good question
Posted by: Moderator3 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 08, 2001 07:42PM

If you will take just a minute to read the rules listed above, you will see that we require your name and a valid email address in order to post. Those who do not supply both have their posts removed.

There has also been a question of what we mean by your "name". Obviously this is not as self explanatory as we had thought. Look on your driver's license or on the front of your bank checks. That's what we mean by your name.

Your post and question will remain so others who are new to the board will see it. We hate to ask for your name on each post but there is really no reason why anyone should not want to give it and the board just stays more calm and civil when people do this. Please understand and come back and participate often. Thanks.

Re: Good question
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 09, 2001 04:28AM

I put my nick name along side my real name. The rwson for my nick is I started out as a reel repairman
Bob

Good answers
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 09, 2001 11:42AM

You're fine Bob.

Most of those who don't list their names just haven't take the time to read the rules - who reads those anyway, right? If they leave an email address we try to gently remind them that their names are required.

A small handful have emailed to express their displeasure at having to leave their actual name and have threatened to either stop posting or just continue on as they have been doing. Personally I am beginning to tire of this sort of thing and will watch the board for another month and see how things go. If I am still having to deal with this at that time then we'll switch to a board that requires full registration with your name, address, phone #, etc., and a password in order to post. That would certainly be easier on me, but I would prefer not to do it.

Finally, I still cannot conjure up why anyone would not wish to post their name with their messages. Unless someone is running from the law I cannot fathom what the aversion to leaving a their proper name with something they have written might be. I'm all ears and willing to be enlightened if anyone has a good reason.

Re: Good answers/right response
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: December 09, 2001 02:33PM

Tom,
I for one would wish you leave the board with the rules as they are, and we like to know who we chat with. Some who wish to be anonymous behind a handle must have other intentions or if they insist on a nickname, just include alongside with their real names as you see most have no problem with this.

If you are going to require registration, that is fine too. Those who wish to come here and chat will contninue and those that 'insist' that it's better with having the formal registration setup can make up their minds. In any case, you must do what you have to do.

Rich

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: December 09, 2001 08:10PM

yeah! if the man is after you, I don't think the rod board is where you are gonna get caught! what kind of skeletons have you got in your closet? and finally, not wanting to start a political argument, like I say to those folks who oppose background checks for buying guns... what do you have to hide?

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 09, 2001 09:36PM

Maybe we've stumbled onto a covert plot to build illegal fishing rods for a unfriendly, foreign goverment...

Over and Out
The Silver Fox

I mean, Bill Doherty
Yeah, that's it - Bill Doherty

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.atomic.net)
Date: December 10, 2001 05:10PM

Hate to ask a stupid question, but is your real name" jnail" and if not how do your posts get by the moderator?

Name
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt3.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: December 10, 2001 05:14PM

Jeff Nail. That's how he gets by - by using his real name. That's all we ask. A full name is great, but we'll allow an initial and a name, and even just a common first name I suppose. But not handles or nicknames and not email addresses which are not valid. Surely it is a small thing to ask and it really keeps the board informative and friendly. Spend some time on some of the other message boards of any craft or endeavor and you really start to appreciate this one.

Re: Name
Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: December 10, 2001 10:49PM

thanks tom. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, sometimes we just need some humor in our lives sometimes, especially in lite of recent events, I hope we can all have some fun here because thatis why I got into rod building(well that and getting charged 40 bucks to replace guides on a 15 dollar rod, wish he would have given me an estimate first, but that's another story).
jeff "the squid" nail

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 11, 2001 10:03AM

Nobody's upset. And most of the time newcomers just don't read the rules and post under the same handle or nickname they use in other places. I hate to remove the posts and have them wondering what happened to it and why. Most of them don't leave valid email addresses so we can't inform them as to what is going on unless I do it here.

Posted by: Jim Gaskins (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 14, 2001 09:20AM

I havev been using my real nameand email adress since my first post a few months ago. Never even gave it a second thought. By the way way to all who are disgruntled. This is the best site you are going to find for info and answers. So play by their rules or go somewhere else.Jim Gaskins

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster