I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How long is your butt?
Posted by: Ed (mrsinbad) (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 08, 2001 01:18AM

How do you guys determine the length of the butt to build based on the physical attributes of the fisherman, type of rod being built, adn type of fish being caught? I have been told that the butt should extend to about the elbow, but what other factors would make you change the length of the butt?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How long is your butt?
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 08, 2001 04:06AM

Depends at times a butt that is shorter works much better some people have problems with the butt that extendes to the elbo. I have had custermers request shorter butts because a long butt interfierd with there casting even tho they lost the leverage in the power end

Posted by: Last Cast (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 08, 2001 09:07AM

The only time I think a long butt would be your only choice would be in a surf rod, to better casting distance. I agree with the Reelman when he says it up to customers preference. I do know of a few guys who like 18-22 inch butt sections for fluking in the ocean, yet other guys would rather have it cut down to about 12.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 08, 2001 09:12AM

Ed, I think I told you that I like to have the butt extend to near the elbow in situations where the fishermen needs to fight powerful fish and thus take some pressure off his or her wrist. But there are other varibles as well, including the type fishing that is being done, the type casts being made, the size fish being fought. You cold just allow the customer to determine what is most comfortable although that does not always work, as what feels comfortable in your shop may not feel the same after many days out on the water.

One thing you could consider is to use factory rods of similar type and style as a general guide or starting point and work from there. Many of the factory rod catalogs list handle lengths for each model. At least it would give you a starting point to work from when discussing this with each customer. The factories are building for the fishing public at large so while their lengths will not be optimum for any particular fisherman, they have been arrived at so as to fit the largest number of users in each fishing catagoery.

Varies with type of rod
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.92.mhub.grid.net)
Date: December 08, 2001 11:12AM

Casting, spinning, surf, etc.?

Fresh water type casting and spinning rods that are less than 7' have butt lengths usually 8-12" depending on the entended use of the rod.

My carp and flipping rods have a 13 1/2" butt.

My surf casting rods have a 25" butt from the rear of the seat to the end of the cap with the static hood to the rear.

My surf spinning rods have a 25" butt from the rear of the seat to the end of the cap with the static hood to the front.

A suggestion
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 08, 2001 07:55PM

This is just a suggestion but I always tell my customers to bring along their favorite rod. Whatever they are using now and the one that is closest to what they are asking me to build. That gives me some idea of where to start on the configuration. I usually ask them what, if anything, they would change on that rod to make it better. The handle length for instance?

If they tell me they like it but wish it had an extra inch in handle length, or that they wish it was just a bit shorter in the butt, then I have a pretty good handle [pun intended] on the length that will best suit them.

Good point Mike
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.38.mhub.grid.net)
Date: December 08, 2001 09:59PM

Most people have a favorite rod that is a perfect fit for them or, they have a favorite rod that they wish were a little longer or a little shorter. This makes the fitting much easier.

If they are starting from scratch, it helps to have some pre-built rods in the shop to let them fondle to get an idea of what they want.

Measuring for a surf rod is easy. Take the customer out in the yard with the blank you plan on using and some masking tape. If it is a 2 piece, tape the female ferrule to keep it from splitting. Hand the blank to the customer and tell him to cast 5 or 6 times like he normally would during fishing. 99% of the time he is going to place his hands in exactly the right position. Stop him without letting him move his hands and place some tape at the front of the rear fist and on either side of the front fist. There you have his natural reach and can tweak the reach from there based on his style of fishing.

Now tell him to hold the rod in the position that he would be holding it if he was fishing. If he is a cast and hold, he may want the reach a little shorter to avoid straining. If he is a cast and put in a spike, he may can stand it a little longer, etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster