I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Titanium, Help
Posted by: Dick Zrudsky (---.cphz1.fl.home.com)
Date: December 07, 2001 09:30PM

I have the Lamiglas TIMS78ML rod.. Butt size is .600 and tip size is a 5. One of my customers wants the best so I am going to put on Fuji Gold Cermet Guides single foot. Going to use 10" rear grip and 6" forgrip and 5" reel seat. . Since the guides are differant, said to be 35-45% lighter,this is where I could use some help.

I would use 6 guides as a rule on a 6/6 rod. Would I use 7? Or is 6 ok, going to use size 20,16,(2)12 (2) 10and an 8. He is going to use 12# line. Any suggestion on size of guides to be perfect, would help.I don't want to buy more since the are so expensise.

Dick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Titanium, Help
Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 07, 2001 09:57PM

well the best is yet to be determained right , 1st go to fuji's
web site and look at the concept guide spaceing chart that will tell you a little info but you really will need to start by know what reel he will be useing and start from there along with a static deflection test this will help guide you . to building the best hand crafted rod for your customer. other than that all you have left is a trial and error .in my opinion get the rod ready for epoxying the guides and really make him happy let him test cast his personal imput how ever large or small will in my opinion reap you praise and gratitude with more new customers .
just my 2 cents worth good luck and tight wraps ....john t burford

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: December 08, 2001 09:19AM

You are approaching the problem from the wrong end. The rod will tell you how many guides to use and that is better than just choosing a number and making it "fit" onto the rod.

As a starting point I am going to suggest a New Guide Concept set-up with something like the following:

High framed 25 - 16 - 10 and then low frame #7's (fly type) on out to the tip. Might need 3 and might need 4 of them and then a #7 ring top. This is only approximate and your set-up would have to considered based on your handle length and reel to be used.

If this is going to be a casting rod, I'd lean more toward something like 16 - 12 - 10 - 8 and then as many 7's as you need. I'd use the fly type low frame 7 single foots and use as many as need to keep the line off the blank. If you went with a spiral wrap then more power to you. That would be the best way to set up a casting rod if your customer is acceptable to it.

Again, these are only suggestions and you really need to take a little time and play with some different set-ups to get one that is dialed in for your particular rod.

Posted by: Dan Corbett (---.rback0.flnt.mi.voyager.net)
Date: December 10, 2001 01:11PM

I have not seen the Gold Cermet guides in the fly guide sizes 7 or 6. Do they make them? Also can anyone explain to me why you would need to use such a large butt guide 16 or 20 for a casting rod? Unless it's for a larger levelwind reel I can't see why you would need to start with anything larger than a 12. Thanks.

Posted by: Dick Zrudsky (---.cphz1.fl.home.com)
Date: December 10, 2001 01:25PM

This is a spinning rod not a casting rod. AAAAI am not into fly rod making but"Anglers workshop shows a lot in the Tigg series.

Posted by: Tony Hill (---.ras11.vahen.tii-dial.net)
Date: December 11, 2001 03:11AM

Dick,

I am primarily a fisherman, not a rod builder. I cast jigs 99% of the time in saltwater, and needed power, lightness, and most of all, sensitivity. I got into rod building because I wanted the highest performance rod I could get. I decided to go with the new guide concept layout, mainly because my favorite factory rod had it. It has been a great success!

My layout for a 6'6"-7' rod goes as follows:
Single foot, Hi-frame sizes 30, 16 and 10
Single foot, regular frame size 8
THREE single foot fly guides, size 7
Size 7, low profile SIC tip top

There is a lot of technical info on this board about guide placement, but once you do that, I would recommend that you:
1. Do NOT underwrap your guides,
2. Extend your wraps as little as possible after the guide feet, 3. "Flame" your epoxy to thin it a little, for maximum tip lightness.

These three tips have made a big difference in the performance of my rods.

Hope this helps.

TH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster