I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hypalon or EVA???
Posted by: Bill Baburchak (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: July 12, 2003 11:35AM

Guys,
I'm building my first spinning rod and I'm considering using something other than cork for the handle. What's the difference (if any) between Hypalon and EVA? What are the characteristics of each? Is there an advantage to one over the other? I can use any information you can give me.
Thanks!!

Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hypalon or EVA???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.205.8.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: July 12, 2003 11:52AM

See the rod building glossary (the far right button above) on this site for a run down of both types. I think it will answer most of your questions on these materials.

Re: Hypalon or EVA???
Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 13, 2003 01:33PM

Compared to EVA and cork hypalon is quite heavy.

EVA is usually easily identified by doing a fingernail test. Push your nail into the grip and release. Hypalon will depress and pop right back out when released. Eva will depress and will tend to maintain the indentation for some time.

Pros and cons:

Hypalon, very durable material, heavy. Harder to shape than EVA due to its rubberlike consistenancy. Great on trolling rods, standup rods, etc. Best used on rods that you do not have to hold all day.

EVA - Lightweight, easily shaped. Best used on rods where light weight is important. EVA tends to "dent" easily, ie. if a pressure is placed on the grip to depress the surface of the grip it will tend to want to maintain the shape of the indentation for some time, and will also chip or rip much easily that hypalon. Still, it is the best choice for light weight rods. I like to use the eva corkalon material, cut into rings, then reglued together - gives the grip a more lifelike cork appearance.

Lou

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster