I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Feather inlays
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2001 07:58AM

Thought I would like to try playing with some different type of feathers for larger rods,has anyone found any feathers that won't work just because of their very nature, such as Gulls or Ducks,these contain various oils and was curious if there would be a problem when applying finish
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feather inlays
Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: December 07, 2001 10:51AM

I thought about that too, looking at a mounted wood duck at my neighbor's the other day, there sure is some nice stuff there, but ducks are pretty oily so they can float aren't they? I wonder if there is a way to strip the oil so it won't fish eye the finish. (my neighbor is checking if his son has any feathers left from hunting season so I don't think about stealing his duck)

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: December 07, 2001 11:32AM

Try denatured alcohol. Test an unwanted feather first for colorfastness. Some may not retain brilliance. I personally have never had a problem with any feathers I have used. I just do the CP thing then the finish. I have used, jungle cock, pheasant, turkey, hen necks, hackle.
ELrod (Jon)

Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2001 03:28PM

Hey John , we can go to the Sea Bird Sanctuary out on the beach. You go in and ask for the feathers and I will stay in the truck with the engine running, LOL. I also would like to dabble in that myself, email me when you get this going.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2001 03:41PM

Bill, Clyde Dent and I came up with a bettter idea,go into one of the exotic pet stores,you could talk to the manager while I went around opening cages and scooping up the feathers from some of the exotic birds.Your probanly to young to remember but at one time Peacock feathers were easily obtainable in our area. I forwarded your e mail address to the club.
John

Posted by: Paul O (---.iwco.com)
Date: December 07, 2001 03:58PM

John,

I have found that if you follow Russ Goodings article you will have very few problems. I believe that the CP will seal in the oils.

I haven't found any feathers that wouldn't work, but the parts of the feathers is where I got into trouble.

Let me explain.

The inlay I did, doesn;t look like anything I've seen pictuers of. I took an actual skin of a rooster pheasant and started with the neck and worked towards the read and layered the feathers in the pattern that they are on the bird. This rod is for a Pheasant Hunter/ Fisherman who wanted to bring his 2 hobbies together.

While doing the inlay I quickly found out that I had to cut the bottom of the feather off. When I say the bottom, I mean the fuzzy part of the feather. it would just wad up and not look correct.

One place to get the feathers for free would be locale hunting preserves. Ducks, pheasant, chuckers, tons of them that they throw out.

Thanx

PO

Date: December 07, 2001 04:07PM

Thanks John, Hey if your looking for Peacock or Pheasant feathers I live right down the street from a farm who has these birds. There has been more than one morning were I have wanted to go over there and ring that Peacocks neck. I will talk to the guy about the feathers.

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 07, 2001 09:31PM

If you ring it's neck, they taste like turkey.

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Date: December 08, 2001 10:18AM

John, I do remember as a youngin you would see Peacocks roaming the Park street area. Bruce you say Turkey, Hmmmmm it is the holidays.

Posted by: Jim Ellis (---.co.palm-beach.fl.us)
Date: December 10, 2001 06:09PM

John,
Did you get a chance to use the sheet of decal paper I sent you???

Jimi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster